SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

CL - Too Good to be True?

ttodd
15 years ago

Found this armoire last night (link below). Haven't done CL before and I'm always sooooo wary of things like this. I look at CL often and it's ridiculous what people are asking for the things that they have.

It's just a town over. The man selling e-mailed me back right away and has kept in touch w/ me since last night w/o a problem. He is fine to hold it until tonight after work so that DH can look at it. What do you think? Am I going to be scammed?! Is this too good to be true?

I'm just need a decent armoire that is above Target quality but not chain furniture store like EA and such. I plan on keeping it around for a few yrs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rustic Armoire

Comments (30)

• nicole__
    15 years ago

Here in Coloado I found one just like it at a thrift store for that price. Brand new that sold for around $475. The distressed pine look is not a "big" trend right now, since the southwest look is "out"......so the price seems "normal" to me. I do like it, it's not damaged or falling apart....get it!

• artlover13060
    15 years ago

That sounds like a great deal. I've seen a lot of armoires on CL lately since so many people are getting flat screen tvs, but I haven't seem one that inexpensive. I have one that I plan to sell sometime. I hate to think about how little I'll get for it.

• Related Discussions

Plumbtile.com Prices are good,...too good to be true?

Q

Comments (3)
    We used them and got GREAT prices on Jado (the Glance lav. faucet and another tub faucet) and Hansgrohe (kitchen faucet). The products arrived in original packaging from the manufacturer very quickly in perfect condition. I recommend the website! But you have to act quickly when you see the item you like because I've seen stuff fall off their website for a while. Also, sometimes you have to search their website pretty hard to find an item---they don't carry everything by each company and sometimes the way they list the item is a little off and it is hard to find via the search function.
    ...See More

Blacklion.com - Furniture prices too good to be true?

Q

Comments (19)
    Hi, I just went to their web site when a chat with Mary popped up. Two things: 1. They don't sell the domestic line of Hancock and Moore, only the international line, Randall Allen. No idea what the difference is. 2. I wonder whether you can get a price quote by online chat and then just take a screen shot as proof of price. They say that you should either call or chat for a price.
    ...See More

Can these be real???

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks, as you can tell I know NOTHING about these kinds of rugs. I just know that when we traveled in Turkey we saw some beauties. But I can't tell the good from the bad (cheap).
    ...See More

AquaDura H2O- too good to be true?

Q

Comments (4)
    I haven't heard of this product, but it does sound really quite expensive! You could get Porcelanosa tile during one of their spring or fall sales that would be gorgeous for half that price. It would probably be better than the standard LVP, though, if you believe the marketing claims. Finding reviews would be helpful. We'll see if someone knows about it and comments for you.
    ...See More
  • Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

The great thing about CL is that you always have the chance to take a look and inspect the item before forking over the dough. Test the doors for tight hinges, see if it's solid wood, kick the wheels. Looks like a great deal!

Sometimes folks are just so sick of their stuff and so eager to have someone cart it off that they set a low asking price. I know I've done that before.

• debo_2006
    15 years ago

ttod: Are you near Phoenixville, PA (I'm closeby)? I'm a CL hawk, and it appears to be a legitimate ad. I see alot of stuff like that around here. Some people are just looking to make a few bucks from items they just don't need or want anymore. I've snatched up a few goodies for cheap recently.

Did he say why he's getting rid of it? Good luck.

• User
    15 years ago

I've seen a lot of those in this area. This is furniture that's made in Mexico and is very rustic -- the wood almost has an unfinished look to it. Nothing wrong with that -- just pointing out the rusticity (is that a word?) of these pieces. The asking price on that armoire is about what I'm seeing them advertised for on CL here.

• lucillle
    15 years ago

Well worth a look- don't know how it could be a scam if it is right there and not in Cameroon, since you can see what you are going to get. The only way I'd be scared of getting a local CL item is if I had to see it alone (but you've taken care of that since you are going with someone) or if it was an item that could possibly be stolen, which does not appear to be the case here.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

What kind of scam are you thinking? The scams mostly come when you are the seller and the buyer is a scammer wanting to send you a bogus cashier's check.

My black entertainment armoire in my LR started out looking much like that one, yet, not nearly so nice. I bought it off Ebay, had to drive 3 hours for pickup and then, had it painted and distressed to work in my LR. I love the one you are looking at. And the price is very good. Don't dawdle if you think you can use it.

Red

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

I would say it's a legit deal because that's the going price for such armoire.

However, I don't know if that's your style Ttodd. Especially if you are going to keep it for a while. My problem w/ those pine pieces is that they are often done using new wood and over time, tend to warp, cracks, splinter.

I imagine your style being not mexican rustic. That armoire is very arte de mexico inspired. Just saying if you don't really like it and only get it for the price, then the price isn't that much of a deal.

This one here on our local CL ask for a/b the same but has more details & better quality.

It's a pain to buy armoire because they are so heavy. Make sure you really love it. :-D

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/fuo/1110170656.html

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• kfca37
    15 years ago

The owner of one of the largest consignment stores in the SF-Bay Area said in a newspaper interview recently that she doesn't take armoires anymore as they've become a glut on the market, their main purpose in life to hide the LR TV. She also mentioned a couple of era-items, I believe Victorian, currently out of favor that she declines.

• Bunny
    15 years ago

I think that's a pretty good price. Like others mentioned, there may be a glut on the market and they're not as popular as they once were. It's not like you're sending off money sight-unseen. I've sold plenty of stuff on CL, and sometimes, you just want someone to take it off your hands, and dropping the price is what it takes.

• User
    15 years ago

Here's a similar-looking one in my area for $175.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• User
    15 years ago

I've also seen a lot of armoires on CL lately. The main problem is that most people buy one to fit their tv, and when they buy a new tv, it's a big screen that won't fit into the armoire. Same with entertainment centers. I've got a nice entertainment center now that won't hold our tv.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your input!!!!!

Okay - I know I'm going to sound like a paranoid freak.......but.....:

A) Have always been overcautious/ nuts/ paranoid even as a child and have have NEVER trusted going or meeting someone new in a non-public place. Clearly the reason I mentioned WE and DH right away to see where the seller would go from there.

B) I've only heard of scams but can't say that I ever knew/ heard HOW they mostly work - thanks for the quick tutorial!

I do like the 'rustcity' of it (great word BTW!) & I'm really sure that I can swing it into a casual French Country style. There is a certain style of rustic that I do like and this is one of them. I can see a rough crock of white hydrangea blooms somewhere nearby it & I think that it would look really nice in my green LR and play nicely off of the matchstick blinds and olive/cream & black toile curtains.

Keep your fingers crossed for me please!

• User
    15 years ago

Sounds like it will indeed look great in your room! I hope the process of "checking it out" is a good one. I'm sure it will all be fine, but like you, I would never go to a strange home to look at an item without my DH being right there with me.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The seller called DH and we are going to look at it at 8 tonight.

Right now our TV and equipment is piled on top of an old but sturdy bureau and an old radio cabinet. I haven't purchased anything due to practicality - never wanted to spend much money on something when I knew I was still getting to know my style.

I dream of a flat screen TV too but I'm one of those gal's whose TV and car have to die before I shell out money for new!

Pets too - and even then we go get good old used ones :0)

• lkplatow
    15 years ago

Ttodd and Debi -- I live very close to Phoenixville as well! Who knew there was such a gardenweb homedec contingent here?! We should get together!

Ttodd - I sold an armoire much like that a few years ago on CL for $100. I had gotten it at Sams Club and assembled it myself, though you really couldn't tell (it was a nice piece and sturdier than Ikea stuff - just didn't have a place for it anymore). So I think that's a pretty average CL price for that style of furniture.

• caroline94535
    15 years ago

I would love to find something similar to convert to a supplies storage cabinet / book shelf for my crafting room.

I'd grab it in a heart beat, stain and prime and paint and do something, or not, about the hardware, and make very good use of it.

• alisande
    15 years ago

I bought a similarly rustic but less ornate one five years ago. It required assembly, and I paid $225 for it--possibly from Overstock. It resides catty-corner in my bedroom, stocked with a TV, DVD/VCR, and lots and lots of DVDs. As Auntjen said, the wood looks almost unfinished. It's sturdy and attractive, and I'm quite happy with it.

And just think--you won't have to assemble this one!

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

The Los Angeles CL usually has lots of these, and I think you got a good price. I buy lots of stuff from CL, and think that if some one wants to lure to me their lair of debauchery, they'd have to have a better come-on than a cheap pine armoire.

CL has ads for hookups, and I think people looking for that action advertise there, not in furniture by owner.

• User
    15 years ago

But you did hear about the young woman who was murdered after she answered the killer's CL ad for a babysitter, right? That was no hookup -- that was every bit as innocent as going to see what you think is an armoire. (Not trying to scare you, Ttodd!)

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lkplatow & Debi,

I'm in Norristown & work in Skippack. Skippack is also where DH works and we will be moving to when we have opportunity to sell our current house.

Where are you guys?

• lkplatow
    15 years ago

I live just down 113 from Skippack, past Lederach a bit. Small world!

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lkplatow,

OMG! The house we will be moving to in Skippack is on 113 in Creamery!

• lkplatow
    15 years ago

Cool! You can email me through my gardenweb page if you want -- we can come over and help each other paint, LOL!

• debo_2006
    15 years ago

West Chester here.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Here's a French Country kitchen I came across the other day, similar feel to the armoire you're looking at for the new FC cottage in your future.

/a>

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

Squirrelheaven, I LOVE that kitchen!

Auntjen, I read about that CL murder and completely agree with you. Please be careful everyone, the world is a crazy place these days.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got the armoire! We're picking it up Sunday. The seller is moving into a townhouse that was being built. Apparently the armoire is so big and heavy that the builders told him they would use a crane and lilft it to the floor that it needed to go to but then never contacted him. It is too heavy and big to be carried up for him. Will post pics as soon as it's in and the rm. is put back together.

I have 2, 5 arm rusted look chandies that I'd bought yrs. ago for the cottage that are still in boxes. They are very simple but each arm has an acanthus leaf on each arm w/ 1 drop crystal. I also have a rusted look chandie in the shape of a birdcage w/ acanthus leaves on it. It is in my kitchen now. As soon as I saw the armoire I knew that I could use it and tweak my decorating to include it and still be very happy w/ what I've been collecting (and not settling).

In fact I just happened to check JCP yesterday and the green toile curtains that I bought last yr. are back AND on clearance for $40/pr.! Now I can round out that rm w/ the same curtains - YAAAAYYYY!

Looks like the Bosp toile is out and it's a green, cream, brown and black w/ touches of blue scheme - I feel like I can stop raking myself over the coals.

Lets see: I have all of my curtains for LR & Reading Rm. for next house - just nd. to purchase the fabric for DR & kitchen. I have my fixtures. I have my armoire. I have my beloved Baby Turtle wall paint. I have my pictures. I am happy and really like the direction it's all been taking. It's all me, me, me!

Auntjen - that's exactly what I'm talking about! You never know - it could be something so innocent sounding.

lkplatow, when I'm inand ready to paint I'll shoot you an e-mail!

Debi & lkplatow, when I'm in and have our housewarming you 2 will def. have to drop by!

Squirrel,

That kitchen is wonderful! I can totally see ways to work that kitchen! Thank you!

• User
    15 years ago

I'm so glad you got it! (Or will be getting it, I should say! ;-)) It's going to fit in beautifully with your decor, and you know we want pictures when it all comes together!

Squirrel, that's a gorgeous kitchen! So charming and absolutely timeless.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

so glad everything is working out for you ttodd :-D
    can't wait to see how you trick it out.
    the unfinished pine look is very "in" right now. ;-D