SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

Hopefully this is just a phase

moonie_57 (8 NC)
16 years ago

but boy do I have my hands full!

My 12 y/o golden has gone from acting like an old man to behaving like a spoiled pup. He hasn't played with toys in a very long time and used to never pull when walking. Now, if I'm not careful, he'd pull me off the front porch and drag me down the street, my face planted in the pavement. He has decided his favorite toy is Charlie's rope bone and will hold it in his mouth and growl, while prancing and jumping around. No way is he going to let either of the other dogs have it even though he really doesn't want it, he just doesn't want them to have it. He goes ballistic if we speak or pet one of the other dogs, pushing his way into the middle to take the attention for himself. His behavior has really changed recently but I haven't discouraged him growling at the pups.

6 month old Quincy, also a Golden, is going through the equivalent of the terrible two's possibly? I really don't have any complaints about him that isn't related to raising a pup, other than his barking. This is driving me insane. LOL. I have the house divided with baby gates. Was a big help when he was going through the chewing stage, and helps keep the younger 2 from romping too much, or to give me 1 on 1 time with each of them. But, if I'm in one room and Quincy in the other, he'll start barking.. a horrible high pitched bark that can nearly burst an ear drum. He can see me, is within a couple feet of me, but doesn't like the separation of the gate. As much as I hate the spray bottle thing, I have tried using it. Quincy will go berserk, barking and snapping at the bottle. If I persist, he'll eventually back off and stop. The spray bottle makes me feel guilty and Quincy winds up with a very wet face. Maybe I'm using this wrong? Anyway, this type of discipline makes me uncomfortable. I would continue, though, if I thought it would correct the barking.

Now, there's Charlie, 9 months old. She listens very well, has stopped digging up the yard, doesn't bark or chew up things and I feel is grown up enough now to not be crated over night. Once we go to bed I don't believe she moves until either DH or I get up. I have 2 complaints about her, one of which really isn't anything to complain about. First, she's a whiner. When separated from me, she doesn't bark like Quincy does, she whines. It's kinda funny sometimes because she'll sit with her nose smushed up against the gate and whine. Looks funny but she does it -all the time-! My other complaint is that she plays waaaaaay too rough with Quincy. He out-weighs her by 5 pounds now, but when they're running and playing, she'll roll him, hold him down and sometimes charge him head-on. I'm afraid someone, probably Quincy, is going to get hurt. Other than those things, I'm really proud of Charlie. She's one good dog. :)

What I would really like suggestions on is help with Quincy's barking. It just has to stop. I've always prided myself in the fact that except for seeing me walk Frazier, my neighbors would never have known that I had a dog. Frazier seldom ever barked, except when someone knocked at the door. Now, I have added 2 and have barking dogs. Quincy barks at birds flying over, barks to come back in, barks just for the joy of barking, I think. And I'm forever out in the back yard yelling at the younger two to settle down. I can just see the eye-rolling and hear the grumbling. I just want to be a good neighbor and want to keep my hearing from being damaged. :)

Comments (12)