SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zelie4111

Build-up in basement floor drain

Zelie4111
10 years ago

My house is over 100 years old and I have had several issues with plumbing since I've owned it. The biggest was having my yard and road dug up and replacing the whole sewer line. My problem now exists internally. For the record, this problem was occurring before I had the new sewer line done.

Basically, there are two floor drains in my basement. Between the two, my grey water run out connects in. At the second floor drain (which is in the front corner, just before exiting the house towards the street) I am getting a lot of food particle build-up that almost becomes like mush if I don't keep it cleaned out well. If I reach back in, towards the line in between the drains, I can feel a lot of thick build up in the pipe. This is the area it gets plugged up at times if I don't keep up with cleaning it every few months. The smell is horrendous. The sewer connects out in the yard and the smell is not sewage, but what I have come to believe to be rotten food.

I was wondering if anyone has ever encountered a situation like this before, and if they found a solution to the problem. I guess it is important to note that we don't dump grease down the sink drain, but I wonder at times if the previous owners had.

Thanks!

Comment (1)