SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toddimt

Water Softener Sizing - (justalurker r u still around?)

toddimt
10 years ago

justalurker,

you have given me advice several years ago in regard to a replacement water softener. I had to put put it on hold, due to an extensive house remodel, but I m not looking to swap the unit out. Wanted to go back over the figures so I get the right properly sized unit. i.e. highest salt/water efficiency based on our home and usage. Want to ensure that I have the highest flow rates as well, since I believe the current softener has to much restriction and thus a low SFR, which causes water pressure to drop in the shower when water is flowing elsewhere in the house.

-Family of 4
-Have a 50 gallon (approx) air tub.
-Have a multijet Shower (3 bodysprays & head) should equate to 10gpm. Showerhead pressure currently drops in half when sprays kick on.

- Measured pressure using gauge at a spigot close to the meter. 45#. Not through Softener.

- Measured flow out of faucet into the bucket. Did it w/ stopwatch for 10.3 seconds and then weighted the volume of water in the bucket. Calculated 11.57gpm. However, the flow rate is most likely a little higher since its a gate valve and not a ball valve to its not fully open/closed at the start and end of the time. Same Spigot,

- Measured GPM at the tub upstairs. Would have the pressure loss through the current softener plus all the bends and going up 2 stories = 3.7gpm. I set the tub valve to 1/2 way since that appear to have the highest visible flow.

-3/4" plumbing into the meter and softener. 3/4" out on the main line to rest of house and I know goes to the multi-jet shower. Coverts to 1/2" at the tub, not sure if its right next to the valve or at the bottom of the tub and up.

-We had previously determined my current 5600 ecominder is undersized for the house and I am pretty sure contributes to the pressure loss noted above.

Here is a side pic of the top of the current unit and bypass valves installed above along wall.

Comments (8)