Does anyone have any experience with this weight loss plan? My attempts to "eat less and exercise more" for the last month haven't done a thing for me.
I have known a few people over the years who used nutrisystem to very successfully lose weight. The problem is they all regained their weight once they stopped using it. One recently observed that they regained the weight because they didn't have a clue of what and how to eat once they went off their predetermined nutrisystem diet. They said the same is true of any diet program where your food/meals are provided.
I believe the problem is about the portion meals that are 'boxed'. Check out Valerie Bertinelli and Kirstie Alley who gained their weight back after losing it on the Jenny Craig plan.
I've done it and it does work but the food is not that good and it's expensive and like everyone says, once you are off, you tend to gain the weight back. It's all about portion control.
I agree with Lindylu. I cut carbs by less than half and slowly lost 30 lbs. Ate more non-starchy vegetables and protein like peanut butter, eggs, chicken. The weight stays off because instead of using a gimmicky diet, I changed eating habits. I don't think I could eat my old way if I tried. This all came about because I'm pre-diabetic, but I think it would work for anyone.
In my opinion, most weight-loss diets work, it's just that the transition from the dieting mode to "regular" eating to maintain the proper weight is so very difficult. Like many people, I've gained and lost the same 20 lbs. many times.
Whatever you decide, Momrox, best wishes to you. Maybe Casey will join in here because she lost weight too.
even if you can pull off, deleting foods you know are bad for you, and you either loose, or stay at your weight for a long time, eventually you can gain again.
I have to either eat less (hard, cause I am hungry as is) or work out.
I don't like working out. Yes, you read right. I know, I ride a bike a lot, but that is because I get pure enjoyment out of riding my bikes. I don't "work out". But I need to start.
Maybe you all should try my soon-to-be-patented diet plan that I call Nutria System. You buy several Nutria (a giant, water rat from Asia) and give them free run of your house. The rats then eat all of your food before you get a chance to, and what they don't eat is so befouled that you'd be unlikely to want it. And hence you lose weight. Pure Genius (if I say so myself). :-)
But if you're not fond of giant water rats, Momrox, I second (or third) the low-carb idea. That's how I lost 50 lbs. 18 years ago. I was pre-diabetic like Socks; therefore, I'm carb-sensitive. If you don't think you are, Weight Watchers has worked for a lot of people. Probably the key is to stick with the maintenance plan after you've lost the weight.
Well it is as simple as burn more than you take in..and the better and balanced your intake, the easier the fat comes off when exercising.
And of course we all know that "carb" heavy foods are where lots of calories are. So just removing those will have you seeing a drop in the scale..also helps with "wheat gut".. So you feel less bloated and hold on to less fluids. Therefore water weight comes off quick.
And you see a quick weight loss even with out exercise.
Kudos to those of you that can maintain carb reduction as a "lifestyle".. Not I.
Lol..
In our house I try to make our "treats/sweets" and packaged foods are often the least ingredient ones.
But we could use more veggies...and truly more sweating..
The amount of chemicals in those boxed foods..eeks me out.
I haven't tried nutri system. I belong to a gym and have been for about 5 years. I did and still do go to the gym regularly. lose the weight. After 4 years, I had only managed to drop a couple of pounds. So, I joined the biggest loser challenge at the gym. This class was great for me. While they encouraged us to exercise, they taught us a great deal about food. That is what helped me take off the 20 pounds I couldn't take off. The secret was greatly reducing carbs during the time I was trying to lose the weight. After the weight came off, I still have to keep the carbs down, but not like when I was trying to drop the weight.
They had us track what we ate on myfitnesspal.com. I know there's other sites out there also. The basic things I learned was to eat nothing that comes in a box, keep canned foods to a minmum mainly because of the salt. I also learned that I needed to really up my protein intake. It was difficult for me at first but now it's no biggie at all. I make a lot of stuff for the week on the weekend. For example today I made a steel cut oatmeal dish in the crockpot, cooked up some chicken breasts for lunch this week and made up an egg bake for hubby and I for breakfast. My husband gets home from work before I do and he starts supper. So, I plan the meals for the week and make sure I give him lots of options in case he doesn't feel much like cooking. I also had to give him the recipes for anything new I wanted to try. It hasn't always worked but he gets it right most of the time. He has even started a myfitnesspal.com account of his own and has lost about 10 pounds.
Exercise is not only good for your body, but also for your mood.
DH and I had 'middle age spread' until I just stopped entering the Poisonous Aisles in the grocery. These are usually located in the middle of the store. It's where they peddle highly profitable salt- and sugar-laden foods and drinks.
We still eat some sweets daily, but in small portions. We aren't big 'snackers'.
It helps to keep temptations behind cabinet doors, out of sight. Take out one portion and put the container back; never eat from the container. Know what a *portion* is!
Drink plenty of water. People tend to mistake the 'thirsty' cue as 'hungry'. Eat slowly. It takes twenty minutes for your stomach to tell your brain it's happy. Pay attention to eating when you're eating -- don't eat mindlessly while your attention is elsewhere.
I love the study where people ate three times their normal amounts of soup when the soup was secretly replenished from below. People just kept eating what was in front of them.
Keeping a food (and exercise) diary is as enlightening as writing down every penny you spend. You won't need to do it for long to see problem patterns.
Also...remember that it took many months or years to GET overweight. It will take time to reverse that. Just get started learning new habits. You aren't 'dieting'. You're getting back on track.
Thanks, all, for the helpful comments and observations. I think I will avoid nutri system or any of its counterparts....positive I would be one of those who gained back all their weight and then some when I quit the program. Have been reading more about carbs and also portion control (pretty sure this is where I'm going wrong). Having hypothyroidism does not help but it can also be a convenient excuse, as I lost over 30 lbs. from stress when my husband's cancer returned so I know it can be done. I've put it all back on and then some since his death 10 months ago; an unhealthy way of trying to deal with my grief. It's time to get real and do it the old-fashioned way.
p.s. Having two 20-something sons who eat like horses still living at home doesn't help.......there are always waaay too many groceries in the house to temp me. Another excuse, I know!
But it's true . . . the best thing is not to buy the wrong foods in the first place--that way you can't be tempted. But that won't work in your situation, so it makes it hard. Maybe if you try to keep in mind what your husband wants for you: good health. I believe he does want this.
Let's be sure that we understand that all carbs aren't the enemy. Complex carbs are nutrient dense and high fiber.....characteristics that help enormously when trying to lose weight or lower your blood pressure or get your cholestrol under control.
Many complex carbs are packed full of protein as well as providing long lasting energy.
Whole grains, legumes, seeds, and nuts.....they are all so healthy and beneficial in any successful, long term weight loss program.
I don't think of seeds and nuts as carbs. I ate them when I was losing weight; they served as my "desserts" sometimes. I eat even more of them now.
As for whole grains and legumes, I'd be cautious. Yes, they are healthy foods for most people. But not for the very carb-sensitive. When my family was vegetarian back when my kids were young, we ate a lot of whole grains and legumes, and I gained a lot of weight.
Even today, sometimes I'll talk myself into eating "like a normal person," and I'll overdo it on quinoa, bulgur, barley, or lentil soup, etc. I don't recommend giving up these food groups entirely; just approach them cautiously and see how your body reacts. Chances are they'll be fine in moderation.
One doesn't "go on a diet" for a limited period, succeed in getting the surplus pounds off ... then go back to the previous pattern of eating.
One chooses to reduce the fat-loading stuff that one's been eating, preferably adding some more useful, and really tasty new items ...
... and that's one's newly-chosen style of eating, that continues ... as long as one lives that lifestyle.
And reduces the volume some as one ages and gets less active. Or gets less active for other reasons than plain old aging.
ole joyfuelled ... with some help for the joy from rather plain foods
P.S. When I was a teen-ager ... Dad said that he figured that I must have had a hollow leg.
World War II began in'39, when I was 10, and with cows, horses and pigs plus lots of fields ... we three boys had lots of work to do helping Dad when the hired hands went to war.
Best of luck with this, Chi83! Let us know how it goes.
If you Google low-carb vegetarian (which you've probably already done :-) ), you'll find information and support for vegetarians wanting to eat fewer carbs. You should be able to eat most vegetables, possibly some in limited portions, but may have to cut back on fruits.
I'm going to look at the low-carb vegetarian sites again myself. It's been a while...
party_music50
justlinda
Related Discussions
Do you ever JERKY???
Q
Stevia/Truvia
Q
back fat and bra overhang - yuck! how do you get rid of it?
Q
Holiday Dinner At SIL
Q
angela_nor_calif
lindyluwho
socks
OklaMoni
bob_cville
alisande
Terri_PacNW
workoutlady
chisue
momrox4Original Author
momrox4Original Author
alisande
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
alisande
OklaMoni
joyfulguy
Chi
alisande
ILoveRed