SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ubera3

Water softner sizing help

UberA3
11 years ago

Just moved into new house and didn't feel like paying $1500 for a softner from the builder. Here is my info and my thoughts. Going to fleck unit, loop is 1" so probably 7000.

Hardness 16.8 gpg

Ph 7.9

Iron Mangnese Magnesium 25 ppm

Las Vegas city water

4000 sq ft

flow rate at tub with hot and cold fully open 8.1 gpm

1" loop pre-installed

people in home 2-3

4 full baths

There is usually 2 people in the house but a few months out of the year we might have an adult stay with us and have visitors for a week or so a couple times a year. I am pretty sure the 32k would be fine but is there any downside to getting a 40k in case I sell the house or add to the family? I know it will waste a little more salt because it would be regenerating more often than needed to keep it on a 7-9 day schedule to prevent channeling. The builder was going to install a 32k unit. Since the loop is 1" should I go with th 7000 vs the 5600 with 3/4? Also demand or metered?

Here is what one supplier recommended....

Fleck 5600SXT Electronic 3/4 Inch Meter On Demand Control Valve Water Softener 40,000 Grain Capacity

10x44 resin tank

1.25 cubic feet of resin

10 gpm service flow rate

2.5 gpm backwash flow rate

Selected options:

Fleck Valve Connection: 1 Inch Stainless Bypass Valve

Tank Color Option: Blue

Brine Tank Size: 15x17x36 Rect Brine Tank

Softening Resin (1.25 cuft): High Capacity Resin.

I would recommend this softener be installed after your pump pressure tank, and be set to regenerate about every 1600 gallons, which would be a regeneration of about every 7 - 8 days with 3 people in the home.

thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Comments (14)