SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wlburgess

Very High Hardness, Sizing Softener

wlburgess
9 years ago

We have been living in our house for about a year and have noticed some issues with hard water stains sometimes and there has been some buildup on the kitchen faucet. We currently have a Whirlpool 44k water softener. I recently got my water tested at the OKC Health Dept and here are the results.

Here is my current setup.
Well Water -> Sediment Filter -> Water softener (44k, Whirlpool) -> Whirlpool whole home filter

I think my softener is too small and the whole home filter is not that great. I am thinking about improving the filter. It only removes particles down to 40 microns.

Here are my test results directly from the well.
Total Hardness 1160 mg/l
Total Alkalinity 244 mg/l
Conductivity 2178 umhos/cm
Sulfate 1130 mg/l
Nitrate 1.2 mg/l
ph (@ 24 deg C) 7.5 units

Here is just the total hardness after my softener and filter.
Total Hardness 32.9 mg/l

I have a TDS tester, post filters/softener my TDS is 775 ppm, pre filters/softeners it is 1300 ppm.

We have a family of 4, and I am trying to correctly size my softener. If I convert my 1160 mg / l hardness into gpg that gives me a ridiculous 67 gpg. I haven't even found a softener which is recommended for it. I wanted to go with a Fleck 5600 SXT with 96,000 grains, but will that be too small? Will that fix my hardness issues and white spots after water dries?

I plan on getting an RO system under the sink just for drinkable water (been using the 5 gallon jugs for now).

I have no clue what to do about the sulfate, what I read is only an RO system , distilling or a ion exchange can fix the sulfate issue.

Any help would be appreciated, I have read a lot of threads and am very thankful for this forum.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!