SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lee280zx

Outdoor dog urine smell...

lee280zx
12 years ago

Hello--

I sit dogs in my home near San Diego. The smell of dog urine in my small backyard has become a problem.

My yard is not landscaped. I tore everything out when I bought it, and haven't decided what to put back there. Right now it's just dirt. My neighbors tell me our yards are decomposed granite. It's dry, light beige-colored dirt. It's not clay or rich soil or anything like that.

We get very little rainfall here. When it does rain, or when I try to hose everything down (thinking it will cause the urine to soak in), the smell gets much, much worse (especially if it's a hot day).

I plan to put a fast growing sod in the yard and water it frequently. I know the dog urine will cause dead patches, but this stuff will come back. I'm hoping the sod might somehow help with the smell.

I've read that the smell comes from bacteria that digest the chemicals in urine and release gas that has an ammonia-like smell. I guess that's what I'm smelling. I presume that I could spray a bunch of watered-down bleach on the dirt, but, of course, that wouldn't be very eco friendly, cost effective, or good for the grass I intend to eventually plant.

Does anyone know what I can do to lessen or get rid of the urine smell? Do you think the sod will help? I'd really love any suggestions (and yes, I am seeking lessen the amount of peeing in the yard).

Comments (6)