SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyamity

How to Get Urine Smell out of porous Cement?

ladyamity
16 years ago

Hello,

I'm usually at the Decor Forum here at GW but this has nothing to do with decor ----- *holds nose*.

We've been redoing our back yard and making a new area just for relaxing.

Problem is the area used to be our dog's potty area.

Although she's an indoor dog exclusively, when we are outdoors and she wants to be with us out there we gave Zayda a brand new potty area out back with a large area of grass, some textured cement (She's picky where she goes when the grass is wet), a plot of dirt because she likes a wet dirt mound to lie in when it's hot and a mister along the brick wall, mainly to keep the dust down but for Zayda's comfort too on hot days like today.

Sounds good, right?

She loves her new area and barely ventures over to our area now.

Problem: Where we've set up our new area to relax, we keep getting the strong odor of dried urine.....it's permeated the cement.

I've sprayed the concrete floor of the area with diluted bleach, Fabreez, Mr. Clean (Concentrate, diluted in a garden pump sprayer) and numerous other cleaning/disinfecting/odor minimizing solutions to no avail.

Years ago I worked with Parrots of all types in a commercial setting and we used Roccal to clean and deodorize....bought it by the case. I loved the stuff!

I decided to try and see if it was still available/still being made and Yikes! the price has gone way up! (maybe because they added the 'D' after it? lol)

Thought I'd come here and see if anyone has any special mixture they use for getting dried urine smell out of cement?

The cement is porous and natural looking so I really didn't want to seal the cement. Hopefully there is something out there that will cut the urine smell?

The urine smell doesn't come up too badly as long as we don't allow water to get any where near the cement floor but as soon as I turn on the water to fill the birdbaths/water my plants or spray off the cement floor of dust and dirt, wowzer....that smell can knock a person over!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Amity

Comments (11)