SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paula_pa

What a waste - dead malls

paula_pa
15 years ago

While surfing the internet, I came across some interesting reading on 'dead malls'. Personally I don't understand why indoor malls have gone the way of the dinosaur. I'm so tired of having to drive from store to store to shop and having to fight my way through strip mall parking lots but I guess I'm in the minority.

Anyway, this one mall that was recently torn down in 2007 after closing in 2004 really caught my attention. It was built in 1979. All the resources that were used to build the structure and it was only used for 25 years. 25 years! What a waste. We have become such a throw-away society.

How are the indoor malls in your area?

They tried to revive one of our malls with a Bass Pro. They get tons of business but the rest of the mall is still kind of sad. They were getting a big book store but the economy tanked and so did the bookstore deal.

Around here, most stores are stand alone or usually in big strip malls that you can't easily walk between all of the stores (especially in bad weather). The parking lots are crazy because the stores and restaurants are built all over the place. The roads get clogged with traffic because they have to put a stop light every 10 feet to account for all the entrances to these stores that just spring up on the side of the road. Instead of just fighting your way in and out of the mall like the old days you spend half your day sitting at red lights if you have a few stores to visit.

Comments (31)