SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gilbert0509

Rainsoft Water System

gilbert0509
13 years ago

Awhile ago there was a thread about EasyWater. The system we are looking at is RainSoft model ec4 with hyselex filter. The EC4 part of this system looks to be exactly what the EasyWater system is. The hyselex portion is a filter that has carbon impregnated with silver as the media.

It seems to me that this may work as the hyselex filter picks up where EasyWater drops the ball. I'll explain as best as I can. EasyWaters system prevents minerals from sticking to pipes and such, but those mineral and impurities still come out of all you faucets, showerheads, dishwashers valves ect. Anything that water lands on a dries on will still have spots and buildup. The Rainsoft system has an added filter that has the silver impregnated carbon which has the opposite charge as the minerals. The idea is that the minerals will then be attracted to the media in the filter and stay there. Once or twice a week the filter is washed (by the system) with a brine that rinses all the minerals out of the filter.

Rainsoft has partnered up with Home Depot. They have the Good Housekeeping Seal behind them and a Gold Seal from the Water Quality Association. We had a rep at our house the other day who did a bit of a hard sell in that he wanted us to sign before he left, but we told him we needed to do some research and shop around.

My question is.....has anyone used or heard of this system? It seems to me that Home Depot wouldn't put thier reputation on the line if the system didn't do what it's supposed to do.

I am not a water expert, but I know ours is awful....over 50 grains of hardness, different bacterias (which we have a chlorinator for ), iron bacteria, magnesium, salt, calcium....you name it. We currently have a Culligan system and have to put so much salt in it to soften the water that it leaves a build up on anything it dries on. We also have a seperate filter for our drinking and cooking water.

Thanks for any input.

Comments (8)