SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gilmoregal

Range vs Cooktop/Wall Oven Combo??

gilmoregal
16 years ago

I am just beginning to plan a kitchen update and am considering my appliance options. The kitchen is fairly small, and we do not plan to remove any walls, so I need to maximize my storage space as much as possible. I currently have an electric cooktop with cupboards underneath (where I store all of my pots/pans.) Across the room, I have a single wall oven with two deep drawers below (where I store my baking dishes) and one cupboard above (where I store my baking sheets, muffin tins, and blender). I am trying to decide whether to keep the cooktop/wall oven set up or whether to replace the cooktop with a range and turn the wall oven area into storage. I like the idea of the larger oven that I would get with a range, but I am not sure where I would store my pots and pans if I do not have cupboards underneath. (A cabinet maker is coming today to give me an estimate, so maybe he can offer some suggestions.) Can anyone offer pros/cons to either option?

Also, I have seen some kitchens that have a cooktop with a large wall oven under the counter beneath the cooktop. (This arrangement probably has a name that I'm not aware of...) What would be the advantage of doing this vs just having a range, since I would imagine it would be more expensive to buy two appliances vs one (assuming mid-range appliances.)

Thanks for your help.

Comments (17)