SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
munkos

Changing sleeping locations.

munkos
16 years ago

Codas crate that she sleeps in at night, is right by the front door, at the bottom of our stairs. It was convienient when she was a pup. On tile, incase she peed or barfed everywhere. Not far for her to go in the mornings while house breaking. And we have to go down the stairs every morning when we wake up, so she's out immediately.

Now, I think I'd like to move her. Upstairs to the hallway, and babygate her upstairs. With her crate, but not closed. She'd be right beside our bedroom, but not IN the bedroom. She snores like the devil, or we'd let her in the room. I'd take away the crate and give her just a bed, but she's pretty attatched to the crate.

This probably seems really silly. But, the problem is, she is REALLY aversive to change. When we got our outdoor kennel, she didn't poop for 4 days. She won't go to the bathroom when we leave home. She needs her travel crate to sleep at others places.

I think she'd enjoy the extra freedom, and being closer to us. But I don't know how well she'd take it initially. I don't know, she might not have a problem with it at all. But she's been sleeping in that spot for 2.5 years, every night.

Is there any easy way to transition her, that'll make it less stressful?? Should we maybe get another crate and just put her upstairs intermittantly during the day initially, until she's more adjusted? And then try nights?

Or do you think she'd be fine changing locations, and I'm being paranoid?

It'll just be such a process, if we end up putting her back to the same spot, right away. We have to buy additional hardware for the babygate we already have, so we can mount it in two places. Buy some 2x4's to screw into the banister upstairs, so we can mount the hardware. Etc Etc. I don't want to go about it wrong and waste money + time. And once she's afraid of something, it takes A LOT to change her mind about it.

She had a run in with the garage door a while back, it knocked a mop over when we walked by, and scared the living daylights out of her. It took us atleast two months to get her to walk into the garage on her own. We had to push her, or carry her, or block her so she had no other way to go but in.

She has issues, thats for sure.

Comments (9)