SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Florida lemons and Shaker Lemon Pie

annie1992
13 years ago

Yes, I know it's not something that screams "Christmas" to most people, but Arlene sent me wonderful Meyer lemons from Florida and I didn't want to waste a bit of them, not even the peel, so I decided to make the Shaker Lemon Pie I saw in Cook's Illustrated. It called for slices of lemon, peel and all, cooked in a sweet and eggy custard and two crusts.

I like marmalade, so I figured I'd like the peels in pie too, and I was right, I do. This stuff is sooooo good, but I'm sure it's because the lemons were so sweet and juicy, I don't know what it would be like with grocery store lemons, but I don't think I even want to know. I'm spoiled for life now.

See the custard just seeping out around the edge, a promise of yummy things to come hiding inside that crust?

I used SharonCB's crust, the Nathan's Never Fail Pastry recipe, and it was lovely and flaky, like always. It's so easy to handle.

See how the top crust flakes?

My favorite pie is lemon meringue, but this one is coming very close.

Arlene, thank you so much for the lemons, I still have a couple left that I'm "hoarding", LOL. They are delicious and even better since I know the thought behind them.

Annie

Comments (22)