SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cagardenerwestelle

Eggnog and Salamonilla

CA Kate z9
14 years ago

I was listening to NPRs Science Friday today where they had a piece on Eggnog and Salamonilla.

Apparently the lab people at Rockefeller University have been making -- and drinking -- an eggnog that is made before Thanksgiving and drunk 4-6 weeks later at the Christmas Party. SInce it's made with a dozen raw eggs and sits for so long they wondered why no one ever got sick. Did the booze have some antibacterial effect?

I had to check out their Daily Video site to see the results of their tests. See the link provided. Below is THE recipe:

Dr. Rebecca Lancefield's Eggnog Recipe

Friday, December 19th, 2008--

Ingredients

1 dozen eggs

1 quart heavy cream

1 quart light cream

1 pint bourbon

1 quart rum

nutmeg

sugar to taste (1/2 - 3/4 lb)

Beat eggs, add bourbon and rum slowly with stirring to prevent precipitation of egg proteins. Beat heavy cream separately until it peaks and add to the egg/bourbon/rum mix.

Add the light cream with stirring. Add the sugar to taste with mixing (1 pound/batch), then add nutmeg to taste.

Leave standing at least overnight with lid slightly ajar in refrigerator. Serve after at least 3 weeks in the cold.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eggnog Experiment

Comments (2)

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

I think it's safe to say that anything with that much booze and sugar in it is acidic enough that nothing can survive in it. Why would they put that much alcohol in eggnog -- unless the whole point is to get drunk as fast as possible?

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't know the why for the amount of alcohol, its a real recipe, but what they discovered was that it took 3 weeks for the booze to kill the salmonella. I think I'll stick with a cooked base.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH