SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_ussher

Diabetic kitty questions...

SaintPFLA
14 years ago

I would love to know if anyone out here has had a similar diabetes challenge? Also, any suggestions?

My beautiful 15 year old male Siamese has been diagnosed with diabetes about six months ago. He is one of four kitties in the household.

Even on insulin 2x per day and a diet change, he is still having once a day vomiting and heavy urinating. Frequently, he misses the box due to urgency/aim issues.

I take him to the vet often to have his BG checked. He's on PZI Insulin. The highest his BG was at first diagnosis was 550. Then, on 2 units of PZI 2x/day, it dropped too low to 70. He was off of injections for 2 months and is now back on 2x/day at 1 unit per day. I'll be taking him in next week for a re-check.

The daily vomiting has not changed. I try to make sure he gets plenty of canned food per day. He also has the special dry diabetic cat food. Eliminating dry food made zero difference in the vomiting. All the cats eat the same food.

My vet is great, but they don't know what is causing the vomiting either. They 'think' it is his pancreas and nothing that can be resolved - just an on-going side-effect of the diabetes.

So, every day, first thing in the morning, I clean up vomit and urine. Every day. Every single day...my poor kitty (and poor me on clean-up duty!). He seems to have vomiting attacks around 3am - 5am every single day.

Anyone else have this issue? If so, did it every improve/change? What did you do to fix it? Help...!

Comments (9)