SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dejasvue

Immediate Beagle Help Needed!!

dejasvue
17 years ago

Wanting to adopt a new dog, I decided on a beagle and began dealing with rescue groups in my area. I told them what I would like was an adolescent or younger beagle and advised them that I use a motorized wheelchair for mobility when outdoors but can maneuver around my home without it just fine. I told them that fact had never affected my ability to care for/walk/maintain my previous dog for many years. After no contact from them for several weeks I decided to look elsewhere and found a breeder in my area who had a litter of 2 and a half month- old puppies available and I fell in love with one. While making plans to have the puppy delivered, the rescue group contacted me and the person I was dealing with began SCREAMING at me saying that I must be "crazy" to even think of getting a young beagle and that if I got a beagle at all it should be a senior beagle. She then said what she thought I should really do was to consider another breed, like a "lap dog who can sit on your lap looking lovingly up at you" or a mixed breed non beagle type. She also said that if a beagle got away from me I would never be able to retrieve it and the dog would be gone forever and she persisted in telling me all the negative attributes of the breed which, having done my research, I already knew. Then the emails began arriving with them pushing me into accepting an older dog and not being willing to even think of allowing me to look at younger dogs. Six months ago I had to have my cocker spaniel put down due to old age and an older dog and their issues is not what I would like to go through right now. The breeder is scheduled to deliver the puppy to me in the next couple of days and now I'm confused. Is the rescue correct? Is a beagle too much dog for me to handle? I don't want to make a rash, emotional decision nor do I want to do anything which wouldn't be good for the dog or me. I have spoken to others who have adopted from this litter who report that their pups are picking things up quickly, not exhibiting any negative traits at this point in time. I'm so confused now and feel very abused and manipulated by the rescue group. All I want is some good, honest, unbiased opinions. Any advise you good people can offer would be ever so gratefully appreciated. Time is of the essence however since I need to tell the breeder my decision in all fairness to him. I look forward to your replies!

Comments (11)

• labmomma
    17 years ago

We had a pet beagle when we were growing up in a busy neighborhood. It was a disaster. Although my folks had a fenced yard, it was not enough. The dog got out constantly and my brother and I would cry and not go to sleep until my father could find the dog and bring him home. He kept escaping to the creek across a main drag in our town. Just instinct I think. We ended up having to tie him up when we put him to go potty. Looking back I think it was the worst choice and we had 4 people who could care for this dog. Have you considered a companion dog, maybe golden retriever or labrador. They are very smart. I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to find out some information where you are located to find one. I don't know how you will be able to handle such a fiesty dog as a beagle can be. I would think a more laid back dog would be good for you. As for the rescue people, I have seen them pressure people including my SIL about taking a dog they have in mind for you. You need to do what's best for you. A rescue may have problems that you don't know about until after you have the dog for awhile. I have a lab rescue (13 years old now) who is scared of men, has fright biting tendencies, is on phenobarbital for seizures, and a myriad of other meds. When people turn a dog into a shelter or put up for rescue, they don't always tell the truth as to why they are putting the dog up most times I think because they feel guilty and want the dog to be adopted. I know this won't be a popular positon with this group on the pet thread, but I want to pick out my puppy and raise him from the get go so that the mistakes that are made (if any and we all make them) are mine and I have to live with them. I really don't want to take on someone else's problem. I have done it once and it has been a 13 year long tough road to hoe. It doesn't sound like you need alot of hassles. You need a companion. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck to you in finding a great buddy!

• cnvh
    17 years ago

In my somewhat limited experience with beagles (have had 2 from about 8-10 weeks on), I don't recall either being exceptionally hyper or in need of huge amounts of mobile play with their human-- certainly not like a JRT! Your pup would have to be walked, of course, but I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to do this in a motorized wheelchair. As long as you can pick up after your pooch (which you would have to do whether he's 8 weeks or 8 years old), I don't see what the problem would be.

My only concern would be where/how you plan you exercise and potty your pup-- is it a place that is well-fenced, with NO chance of puppy escaping? Beagles have VERY strong hunting instincts, and are almost impossible to "call off" a trail when they start on it. They can be quite stubborn, too-- which I'm sure you know, since you've done your homework.

Your breeder is aware of your limitations, yes? What does he/she think? If they're reputable and are willing to adopt to you, I wouldn't worry about what the psycho rescue person said... go for it!

(And how RUDE of the rescue person, by the way... I hate to say it, but some of these rescue people go a bit overboard...)

• Related Discussions

Cross Posted in Fig Forum. Need Immediate Help!

Q

Comments (10)
    fruitnut, I did send him a link to this thread so he could see the sad state of the tree. I also told him I wasn't mad, just sad, and that he shouldn't bare root anything with leaves. Dormant is a different story. I don't know if he sells on Ebay, but I found him on another forum. Not garden web. My first gut was to prune the tree as you suggest, thinking I might be able to get some cuttings to root also. I know when trying to root green cuttings of olives (you remove all leaves, and cut the top in half, but this one is rooted, so maybe I'll prune it 80%. When we transplanted 2 olives grown over 6' as explained above, we had to root prune, so we top pruned as well for the move. They had roots, but we did cut the tops to relieve the stress. One year later they both live, but have not grown at all. I'm leaning towards pruning. Thank you! Suzi
    ...See More

Need immediate help.advice on rose cuttings!

Q

Comments (1)
    I would try and keep the root ball as intact as possible and re-pot the rose in a regular container, adding soil carefully around the fragile roots. If you still have parts of the peat pot surrounding the roots, I would just leave it as is and not try to remove the peat pot from around the roots, the peat pot will deteriorate after time. I would also keep the rose out of full sun for awhile, in case some of the new roots sustained any damage. Good luck.
    ...See More

Beagles...I need your help :)

Q

Comments (11)
    Beagles- Thanks! I will have a little blue in the backsplash...and the blue on the back wall of the upper cabinets...and probably a chandelier like this, over the banquette. From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures I don't really want to paint the cabinets blue, but I will have blue on the dishes and the fabrics in the keeping room will be blue, green, yellow, maybe a little purple or pink. Probably a combination of plaids, florals, and maybe a little toile. Kind of a french country kitchen meets a little english cottage. Still working on the rest of the details :) Oh, and I'm still thinking about using a cobalt blue, wood stove!
    ...See More

Need immediate bathroom design help! boxerpups anyone else!

Q

Comments (13)
    I think a very large niche...with arched top like your wall niche picture or not...could look great along that wall. BUT...only if you do something to make it stand out. I'm thinking of something like a mosaic or different tile motif similar to what folks do behind the range in the kitchen. If it is simply tiled in white subways like the rest of the shower, I fear it will also look, as you say your current shelf does, like an afterthought. But if you put some other tile in there, it could look WOW! Don't know what the rest of your bathroom plans are, so I hesitate to suggesst something specific. But perhaps picking up the tone and texture of the tumbled travertine on the floor? At the very least, I would suggest tiling the shelf of the niche in the floor tile. I'll see if I can find some pics too.
    ...See More
  • annzgw
    17 years ago

""I have spoken to others who have adopted from this litter who report that their pups are picking things up quickly, not exhibiting any negative traits at this point in time.""

I sounds like you've done your research and I would only add that you ask the breeder their return policy if it turns out the puppy is not a good match. Most good breeders will take the dog back or help you find a new home for it.
    The last Beagle I saw lived in a retail antique store.........kinda as their mascot since he store was named after him! The best, laid-back Beagle I've ever met...........and sweet!! The owner claimed she had no housebreaking problems with him.

Since other owners have positive comments about the breeder's line, I'd say enjoy your new pup.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    17 years ago

I have a beagle and a jack russel and the beagle has a wonderful diposition. However, while he likes to lounge all day, he spends several hours each night with the the outside dogs in the fenced 8 acres running and barking. Beagles need to run, every single day, for 30 minutes minimum. How and where will your beagle do that? Running in circles in a cramped fenced area is just not ideal. Certainly you could get a beagle and never let him run but that would be so cruel.

Lots of dogs need a good long run each day too, so that is probably why an older dog was recommended for you. Some small toy dogs can get enough running in a small fenced in an area or a big house.

• dejasvue
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your replies so far! I would just like to respond to a few of the issues which have been raised here. 1)There is a weight limit where I live on how heavy the dog can be and therefore, although I would love a golden or a lab, they are way beyond the acceptable weight. 2) I have a securely fenced in back yard which my pup would only be in when I accompanied him out there, leash on him of course, just in case he got a scent and wanted to escape/explore. 3) For the past 7 years (the time I have been in a wheelchair)I walked my cocker spaniel 3 to 6 times a day every day, rain or shine in my wheelchair, pooper scooper in hand. She died six months ago and up until the week before she died we were out walking, doing our thing. I could be wrong, because it has been a very long time since I have had a puppy, but I believe if the puppy ia exposed to me in the chair, that will be the "norm" for him and the way he expects to be walked when we go out. I should also say that the puppy is only 2 1/2 months old and has not completed his puppy shots, so he will not be going outside to potty until the vet says he is ready. I have "piddle pads" for the puppy which will be placed near the door for him until he is ready to go out. Until then I will be introducing him to a collar and leash so that he knows what to expect when we do go out for a walk. And I do agree with those of you who have said you thought the rescue folks were rude and inappropriate to me. I got off the phone with that person thinking I had just spoken to a psycho beagle nazi! Please keep your wonderful comments coming. They are more helpful to me than you know and I will of course keep you all posted to the eventual outcome of this saga. Many thanks!

• mazer415
    17 years ago

Actual;ly there are two types of beagles, a field trial beagle, which does take alot of handling experience and perserverence, patience and a quick response. There are beagles, which are smaller, and are basically from the show room genes. They are easier to handle and are not so rambunctous. Might I suggest that you ask the breeder to help you in the future if any probelms come up, or ask ifthere is someone in the area the breeder trusts as far as a handler goes. Maybe even contact Canine Companions (in another local) and ask if they have a handler you can contact if things start going south on you.
    In my humble opinion, had the person contacted you within a reasonable amount of time, she might have gotten her way, but to berate you on your decision and continue to nag you by e mail is just not okay. Maybe you could write a letter to the organization reminding them you are looking for assistance, not a chewing out. I wish you luck in whatever you decide and remember, sometimes things dont work out, even with the best of intentions. Having a plan in place in case that time comes along (ie: making certain the breeder knows your situation, or having a person who is experienced with handling dogs also know what your situation is and is kept up to date, and maybe can help you with specific issues which might creep up...be a scout and be prepared before hand.)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    17 years ago

Wow.. You certainly got a rude response from that rescue person but I would think her job is an extremely emotional one, and probably had a dog in mind for you and was disheartened that the dog wasn't going to get a home. But, I'm not the one that had to deal with her rudeness so its easy for me to be forgiving.

I've never owned a beagle personally, but I've always thought of them as "more difficult" than alot of breeds. This is the conclusion I have come to from observing my neighbors 3 beagles. They're loud, rowdy and do lots and lots of digging. But, they're also sweethearts, and you can almost see them smile at you (if they aren't howling). I know with all 3, housebreaking was an issue. Whether it was the dogs or the humans, its hard to say.

Any chance on training/obedience classes? I think most dogs would make wonderful pets if given the right training.

You shouldn't let one screaming person make you second-guess yourself. You had already done the research so if you believe you can handle a beagle, then who is to say you can't?

About the piddle pads... maybe someone else knows better, but I have heard that using them can make housebreaking harder. I've never used them, so just passing on secondhand information.

Good luck!

• schoor
    17 years ago

We had a beagle when I was younger. We only had him for a few months since we kind of took him in from a neighbour who went to a nursing home and we promised to find a good home for him. He was about 7 months old when we got him. He wasn't totally housebroken but it didn't take him long to figure it out. He howled all day though. Which could of been because he was used to his previous owner being home all day and we weren't. He was easy to get along with though. Friendly towards people and other animals.
    I would be concerned about the energy of a young puppy since as you say, you have limited mobility outside. But other then that, I think you have done your homework and have a good idea of what you are going to have to do with your new pup. And your right, he will learn about walking beside your chair. I have seen quite a few bigger dogs walking nicely beside their owners in wheelchairs and power chairs etc.
    Good luck!

• share_oh
    17 years ago

I've never owned a beagle, but see them pretty frequently at the shelter where I volunteer. The one thing I've noticed is they do seem to be the biggest barkers. But they have all been very sweet dogs as well.

I do have a lot of experience with puppies though, have lost count of how many we have had in our home fostering. Just be prepared for a LOT of work!

Our current puppy is about 4 months old and I do think he has some beagle in him - he's very long with short legs and when he walks he puts his nose to the ground like he's tracking something. He chews everything that he comes in contact with, puts everything in his mouth, just like having a toddler in the home! We're still working on his potty training, of course there are accidents, but he's trying.

Then of course, there's nothing like puppy breath either! Our guy is real affectionate and cuddly - he makes all the work well worth having him in our home. We're seriously considering keeping this guy, and that would make dog #5!

Good luck in your decision making. Sorry the rescue group was so very rude to you. I'm sure their hearts are in the right place, but their overzealousness is a huge turnoff.

Sher

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

dejasvue -
    The best little dog I ever owned was a Beagle. My first son was just over a year old, and we wanted to get him a small breed dog. One of my distant relatives, hearing that we were looking for a young dog or puppy for my son, brought over a one year old beagle. This relative raised beagles for hunting, and this little dog had been the "runt" of a litter, and was born with only one eye (the other eye socket looked as if it had been stitched closed) and no tail, which I guess could be called birth defects. The breeder also said the dog was "gun-shy" and could not be used for hunting. He was a sweet little thing - and a wiggly bundle of love. We promptly fell in love with him and he bonded with my son immediately and never left his side. Perhaps the dog's diasbilities kept him from roaming, I don't know. He was very protective towards my son and would not allow adult strangers near my son until we assured him it was OK. However, he accepted all other children, strangers or not.
    He brought a lot of joy into all our lives - he's been gone over 40 years now, and we still speak of him and miss him.
    Good luck and best wishes with your new pup, whatever you decide to get.

• micke
    17 years ago

You had a cocker spaniel yes? They are about on the same wave length as a beagle, did you have the cocker as a puppy? I would say it would be about the same (I love the stub wiggling and then set on your feet move cocker spaniels make) the dog will most likely (if you get it as a puppy) condition itself to you, most people do not belive me I am sure, but they grow and mature for their enviroment. I think you will be just fine with a beagle, my neighbor had one of the bigger ones, and she did have to keep it tied for it to go potty (she had one of those neat runner type leads, where she fastened it from the door, kinda clothesline type) but that is something you could manage I am sure. Whatever it takes I am sure you are willing to do it, and after you have had your puppy for awhile be sure to send snotty phone lady a few pics of you with your new dog.