SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave88lx_gw

High BUN, Creatinine, & Calcium

Dave88LX
9 years ago

OK I'm going to attempt to post this factually and not emotionally, as it's already been an incredibly rough week.

My 9 y/o girl Kodak, we noticed started losing weight, was not eating much, and lethargic. Took her in to the vet to get her checked out.

BUN: 65
Creatinine: 3.0
Calcium: 16.2

By themselves,the kidney levels are bad, but not super terrible. We were told if it were one or the other, then it'd be manageable, but it's tough to figure out if the Kidneys are causing the calcium, or the calcium is causing the kidneys. Would need to test for Parathyroid cancer, and IF it's that, still looking at a very expensive surgery which still does not guarantee that the kidneys themselves are good.

Vet said she has maybe a month. I don't know. Everything is just so sudden and out-of-the-blue. Perfectly healthy dog a couple weeks ago, just so sad. I got the SubQ fluids and learned how to do those last night. She's been doing decent eating for me so far trying different things. They initially gave her Amoxicillin, Tramadol while waiting for the blood work to get back. She's now on PrednisoLONE, and Cerenia after discussing things with the vet. Best case scenario she said would be a Parathyroid tumor causing the excess calcium, in turn causing the elevated kidney levels. But, that doesn't guarantee that the kidneys themselves are good to go eithr. I hate to sound cheap but I do not have $1K for testing + another $2000-$3000 for surgery with no guarantee of the kidneys functioning properly after.

I've thought about taking her to another vet to have the blood checked and getting a second opinion just to be sure.

Don't know if any of you have had any dealings with the Calcium issue on top of kidney issue and what you've found out. Going to have to start researching diet I guess.

This just sucks really, really really badly.

Comments (8)