SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahnrut

replacing drain pipes

mahnrut
14 years ago

We have gutted a 1930s bathroom and our instructions to the plumber were to replace all pipes he could as they are original although we have not had any leaks. Since, unusually he says, the short 4" pipe from the toilet to the waste stack is steel and not cast iron he wants to leave that. We have no problem with that but he also wants to leave the galvanized 2" waste pipe running to the shower and the sink replacing from the T junction to the sink and the trap only. He gave no reason to my husband for not changing all of the 2" waste pipe and we can see of none except cost. I don't see that he can think that cost is an issue as we have encouraged him to do all he can at this time and we are paying him by the hour. We certainly don't want to have to break up the tiled floor later or the plaster ceiling below. Can anyone think of a reason why not to change these pipes? The shower drains just OK but that maybe the trap as we have only had it snaked out once in 40 years but I can't imagine the waste pipes are that clear either. Before we called him I just wanted to pass it by you very knowledgeable guys. Thanks

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living