SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
refin

is getting a new cat impossible for us?

refin
17 years ago

We have a 10 year old, healthy cat. She can be real sweet but is mostly a loner and is really grouchy around other animals. She will hiss and growl and puff up all her fur. She hasn't attacked but hasn't been around other pets that much either. She doesn't seem to be territorial as most of the growling and hissing is at the vet's office. The problem is that she is antisocial and cranky with my daughter. She has no desire to interact with her and swats at my daughter if my daughter tries to play with her. My daughter has been scratched only once when she accidentally cornered the cat but it wasn't bad. Is it possible to get another cat? I have been told by other shelters that it will probably not work (stress out our cat too much), my daughter understands if we can't get one but our vet and some shelters say it could work. We plan to keep them separated and get a younger cat (prefer a kitten) that will be less threatening to the older cat. Is this stupid or anyone done this before? I would never bother by my daughter (now 5) is so good at cleaning the litter, gets the cat water every morning before she eats, etc. and she LOVES cats. I love our old cat but wish my daughter could play with a cat too.

Comments (12)