SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azzalea_gw

Tax/Real Estate Question?

azzalea
15 years ago

Anyone here an American tax accountant or know about real estate?

The situation: We own one home (A) that's considered our Primary Residence--no mortgage (valued at about $230,000 or so). We also own a second home (B) that will become our PR, once DH retires in 2 years--has a 5 year balloon (about $172,000) mortgage, which we should be able to pay off once A sells.

and then there's House C--we own aprox. 18% of it outright, and an additional 12.5% is ours via an inheritance from someone who died this past month. House hasn't yet been appraised, but knowing the RE market in the area where it's located, it will probably be worth a minumum of $400,000--possibly a good deal more, even in this economy. Because it's owned by 4 people, in varying %'s, it will need to be sold for the division to occur.

Now, here's my question, if anyone knows. With 2 houses to sell (A & C), given the situation I've described, is there any advantage or disadvantage (tax or otherwise) if they both are sold in the same year? I'm sure the administrator of the estate will probably want to clear things up and most likely will list House C within the next few months. We were just about ready to put house A on the market (within the next month). Is there any reason to either push to have both properties sold within the same calendar year? or to space out the sales between this year and next?

A little more info. Since we're only paying one mortgage, we can handle holding on to both (A & B) for another year or so, if it would be advantageous. An added temporary benefit is that House A is 1.5 miles from DH's work, if we sell now, he'll be commuting 30+ miles each way for the next 2 years, until he retires--so keeping both houses (A & B) isn't the worst thing (as long as we can eventually sell for enough to pay off the mortgage on House B). Of course, we are paying double insurance, electric, gas, water, sewer, etc--so paring down to one house would be a savings from that standpoint. And DH MIGHT consider retiring sooner than 2011, once we've moved away from his workplace.

The inheritance situation obviously came up out of the blue--we weren't necessarily expecting it to occur at this time, so we hadn't really factored it into our plans last year when we bought house B. I will be talking to my accountant in a few weeks (won't bother him until after he's had a chance to catch his breath after the 15th--LOL), but in the meantime, just wondered if anyone on here had any ideas on this situation, or could suggest any further questions/concerns I should address with my accountant. I will be asking him what kind of things I can do to minimize any tax liability in this situation--he's great helping set that sort of thing up legally and honestly.

Thanks for reading this L-O-N-G post and for any ideas.

Comments (6)