SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
starfish24_gw

Water Heater Size/Type for large house

starfish24
15 years ago

We are renovating a home we recently purchased and would greatly appreciate advice on our perplexing water heater situation (sorry so long):

3 story-house, approx. 8000 sf (5500 sf on main levels)

5 full and 3 half baths

will have whirlpool tub and large shower in master bath (with multiple showerheads and body sprays)

two dishwashers and two laundry rooms (but unlikely that all would be going at once)

family of four about to go thru teen years and planning to stay in the house for a while.

The house currently has 2 50-gallon gas water heaters, both in sad shape. They have a standard venting system from basement up through the roof. Because of our new layout upstairs, it was suggested that the vent be removed, and that we instead get a single 75-gallon power vent, which can just be vented directly outside. To me, it seemed much simpler to just get a conventional water heater (or two), keep the vent and work around it, even if it meant having a little area jut out in the master bath (for not-good reasons though, that vent has already been removed).

Should we go with a 75-gallon power vent unit (AO Smith Power Max -- which, by they way, came with no Energy Label and seems to have no info available on FHR or EF; also has just 6-year warranty with no possible extension) OR have them reframe a bit and put the vent back and get either a regular 75 gal or two 50 gal units? My concerns are these: cost of unit and cost of use (given power vent unit uses electricity and gas; our lights do go out from time to time, so prefer not relying on electric; and size of water heaters (is one 75 enough, or are two 50s better -- I calculated our FHR as potentially around 140).

Any help is much appreciated!

Comments (11)