SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweets98

Adoption fees?

sweets98
17 years ago

I am really curious about this whole adoption fee thing and thought you guys could help me out here.

DH and I are looking for a second dog to add to our family. We want something on the small side and we're looking for long hair because that's what we like. We have a 5 year old Shih Tzu that we rescued from BIL and SIL after they had him for a year and decided they didn't want him and were ready to take him to the SPCA. (He needed some major TLC when we got him!)

We do not want a puppy and we do not want to spend a fortune buying a new dog. What we really want to do is basically what we did with Hunter...find a dog that the owners no longer want and give him/her a new home. I would LOVE to get something from a shelter but we're also looking through classifieds just in case there is something we want there because we're still saving it.

Our local SPCA asks for a $75 adoption fee, the no-kill shelter $90. I totally understand that they use this money to care for other dogs and think it is a reasonable fee, maybe even too cheap considering the medical care and other things they do while the animal is there.

What is getting me are these classified ads! People that bought a dog and spent $500 on him/her and now don't have the room or are moving or whatever and now they want to find a new home for them...for the same price they paid! Is that fair? What do you guys think are reasonable prices for a dog that someone no longer wants and you are willing to drive to pick up?

Comments (13)