SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judydel_gw

marble and soapstone lovers

judydel
16 years ago

Hello All,

I'm in the process of deciding counter top materials, etc. for a major kitchen/pantry redo. I'm considering using marble and soapstone or marble and brushed absolute granite.

Here come the questions:

1. I know oofasis and osswb and others have made it clear that once marble is properly sealed, it doesn't stain. But what about etching? If properly sealed with good sealant . . . does it still etch? What does etching look like and feel like? I haven't experienced it yet. Anyone have photos? or doesn't etching show up on photos?

2. Are the good sealants really food safe. I'm very interested in keeping my redo as non toxic as possible. I'm going with no-formaldehyde plywood cabinet boxes and water based low voc paints/stains, etc. Do what's the sealant made of and is it really non toxic? What about vocs?

3. How easy is it to scratch soapstone? I purposely dragged a heavy can opener over the surface to scratch a soapstone sample. As expected it did scratch but the scratch just about completely disappeared when I re-oiled it. So I'm wondering, under normal day to day use . . . does it scratch or does it take a pretty significant gouging to do so?

4. As far as brushed absolute goes . . . I liked the feel and look very much so. But will I get annoyed with the surface since it isn't completely smooth? Will my cutting board and dishes not lay flat, etc?

Well I think that's all for now.

Thanks anyone for reading and reporting!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH