SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Help! Litter box trouble in paradise

3katz4me
10 years ago

Oh dear - my otherwise perfect new kitty is not consistently using the litter box! Here's how things have gone down - hoping you have some advice.

As you probably recall from my other happy post about this wonderful new kitty, I have two other resident cats and she came on board Oct 3. I kept her isolated in an upstairs bedroom for a few days and then started letting the cats all meet each other. They quickly adapted and have been getting a long beautifully.

I left everything in her room for a week and left the sliding pocket door open only far enough for her to go in and out. The bigger cats couldn't go into her room. So only she used the litter box in there. She did however start using the other cats litter boxes downstairs as well. She consistently used one of the three litter boxes - no problem.

So after a full week, I shut down her room and removed the upstairs litter box. I mistakenly assumed she'd have no problem using the other litter boxes since she'd already been doing so. About a day or so after the change, she pooped on a rug downstairs. So I brought her litter box back in and put it kind of by the other cats boxes but a little ways away. She used it but she also pee'd under the stairway downstairs. She then did that again so we moved her litterbox under the stairs.

Last night she pooped upstairs in the corner behind a dresser and pee'd upstairs in an upended cardboard box in the kitchen. We showed her the nasty area where she shouldn't go, scolded her and took her to her box. She promptly pee'd in there like a good kitty.

One thing I would add is that coinciding with the litter box move, we did also have visitors staying in a downstairs bedroom that's on the way to the normal litter box location. Pretty low key adults though - not boisterous kids or anything. So not sure if that has anything to do with the problem or not. I would also add that we are meticulous about scooping the litter boxes - at least twice a day.

I'm dumbfounded. I've never brought in a new cat that doesn't use the litter box. The only time I've ever had problems like this is with a sick or elderly cat - not a young perfectly healthy one. I'm thinking an upstairs litter box might help and I can do that temporarily but I have no place to keep one upstairs long term. And since I've never had to do that for healthy cats I'm thinking that shouldn't be a requirement for this one.

We love this cat and all the cats are getting a long famously so we really want this to work out but she can't use the entire house as her personal litter box. She goes back to the vet in a week and a half and I will ask him about it too, to make sure there really isn't any kind of medical problem but I think it is something behavioral related to all the change in her life.

Comments (29)