SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meg711_gw

placement of art over built-in buffet

meg711
16 years ago

We have an 11' stretch of built-in cabinetry in our eating area. It's regular counter height--a little over 36" high. There's about 78" of space between the counter top and the beginning of the crown moulding. We're considering a piece of art for over the built-in buffet. It's 40" tall and 48" long.

I've always heard that art should be at eye-level but if I put this painting at eye level, the lower edge of the painting will be too close to the counter-top, and the painting won't be centered vertically on the wall. Is it okay to hang it higher?

I'm also having trouble figuring out if the painting is the right length for that area. There are two outlets on that wall, each about 24" from each corner. I plan to place buffet lamps strategically to hide the outlets.

If I center the painting between the lamps, there will be a lot of empty wall space on either side of the painting. I think it will be difficult to find other art that would work there. A space that big probably needs more than one piece of art.

Does anyone have any words of advice about placement of art in this situation? Thanks!

Comments (11)