SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetchastity

How long should canned food be left out for cats

sweetchastity
15 years ago

I usually take a can and give half or a quarter to Dustin then put the can in a ziplock bag and leave it on the counter for dinner time (because I usually have the smaller cans for 2 meals). Someone told me I should refrigerate it but I'm not sure if I should give it cold or warm it up in the microwave. I thought it would be ok for the day.

Also I don't know when to remove his canned food. I gave him some late last night with water (dual bowl) and this morning he was eating it and I wasn't sure if that was healthy. He barely gave it a nod last night but seemed to be chowing it down this morning.

Can someone offer some advice on feeding canned food with a dry diet? I will admit I don't clean up the food after an hour of putting it down and if he doesn't go for it the first time he hasn't gone back to it but I've noticed if it has been out for a while he'll go back and seem more interested in it. I usually take the bowl away if its been sitting longer than I think is safe but I'm not sure of the safe practices of when to give and take the canned food away. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (9)