SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
duveen_gw

Shipping Cats on a Plane

duveen
15 years ago

This forum was suggested to me by my sister. My wife and I will soon be moving from New Mexico to Massachusetts. We'll need to get our two 14 month-old cats -- sisters -- between states sometime next month. My wife will have already made the move and I'll be following her. It will either be about five days in a truck with me or a one-day plane trip for the cats. My vet indicated that she favored the plane route and that while it would probably be more traumatic, it would also be over much more quickly. I just want whatever is best for my cats.

I'm thus looking for tips on airplane travel for cats. This might include, but should not be limited to, the following:

1. Suggestions on a favorite type/brand/model of container for use in the cargo hold of a plane.

2. Do you have a preferred airline for this type of service?

3. Airlines require a food and water dish with each cage and many mandate that it be fillable from outside the cage. Suggestions on makes and models?

4. Any suggestions on how to get the cats ready for this experience? I had someone suggest putting their cages on top of the washing machine to experience noise and vibration, which seems reasonable. These have been sheltered, indoor cats.

I very much appreciate any tips you have. I'll be a wreck on the day they are shipped regardless of what I do, but I want to make it the best experience that I can for them. Thank you for your time.

Comments (14)