SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liverd

Garbage disposal: where should it be installed on a double sink?

liverd
15 years ago

This is a question about installation of the garbage disposal on a double offset sink. I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel.

The left bowl will be the large bowl, with the dishwasher to the left of it. I asked my contractor to install the garbage disposal under the large bowl (because that's where we do the majority of washing and where all the food scraps accumulate).

He insisted that the disposal has to be installed on the small bowl. Otherwise it will both cause loud gurgling noises and cause the disposal to not function properly. This doesn't make any functional sense to have the disposal under the small bowl. But I've only ever had single-bowl sinks so I've never had to think about this before.

Is he right? Is there some configuration of traps and tees that would get around his concern? And even if he is right, what's the actual risk of installing it on the large bowl?

Another consideration - and this one is rather unconventional: I would eventually like to pipe the small bowl drain to a water collection system in the backyard, which is directly outside the kitchen. Basically, collect the water from rinsing produce and other relatively clean washables for reuse in the garden. This may sound kind of way out there and I'm sure it doesn't comply with code, but I do live in California and the specter of drought increases every year. It just seems like such a waste of perfectly good, clean water to have it drain away as wastewater.

I don't expect the contractor to agree to do this last part, but at the very least it would help if he'd install the disposal on the large bowl. Any advice appreciated!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!