SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janegirler

need helpful thoughts/comments on my labs poor health

janegirler
17 years ago

HELLO TO ALL. I AM A NEW MEMBER AND NEED HELP WITH MY BLACK LAB 'JANE' AND HER QUICKLY DETERIORATING HEALTH. First, Jane is 2 mos. shy of 9 yrs. She has been my faithful dog since she was born! Jane has been by my side everywhere I've been in her life. Work, play, beach, home, road trips, family, etc.

About 3 weeks ago, I started noticing that she wasn't eating or drinking as much as normal, I kinda figured she might be starting to slow down a bit and didn't think too much of it. She has always had an open bowl and has only eaten when hungry. Well, after about 1 1/2 weeks or so went by I started to notice her weight loss greatly. I then really kept an eye on her. Another week went by, and she was looking very depressed, fatigued, sad, and thinner! I took her to the vet this last week for a check up. We had a blood and urine test done.

I talked to the vet on fri. last week and this is what he presented to me:

#1 In his opinion, the blood tests show signs of possible Cushings disease, which would need a cushings test to confirm or deny that guess.

#2 her blood is anemic, in his opinion, this could be a sign of a possible cancer if the cushings test is negative.

#3 her urine test showed a higher level of hormones than normal.

Today is sunday before labor day. Jane has barely been eating much at all since her visit to the vet last thursday.Some treats, some water, maybe a 1/4 of her normal intake. Both yesterday afternoon and this morning Jane threw up alot of yellow bile. With virtually nothing in her stomach. She lays there in obvious discomfort, very sad. I plan to ask the vet this tues for a cushings test, which won't be given till the end of next week, to help with her diagnosis.

I've read that some main symptoms of cushings is over-eating, over-drinking, hair loss. Jane is definitely not doing or showing these symptoms. Which makes me sceptical that she may not have cushings disease.

I've been trying to feed her anything that she might take in. Last night tri-tip.

At this point, my wife and I are feeling extremely sad and somewhat helpless. I feel like this could be a long emotional road for both Jane and us. We are really trying to stay positive and do things with her that she likes, but not over do it. Like play ball, goto the beach, free roaming in the yard, etc. Yet as soon as we stop and rest, she is so sad. I'd just like to know if anybody has had any similar experiences with something like this, their diagnosis, their maintenance routines, their natural or medical remedies, and words of wisdom and advice and websites. Everything is appreciated!

Comments (34)