SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kentwhitten

Envisioning your kitchen

So, I have a question for you all.

I don't want to break any advertising rules, so I want to be as vague about my custom cabinet business as possible.

I see many of you posting about "My kitchen didn't turn out quite like I expected it to. It doesn't look like I envisioned it" etc.

Most of you who have gone through this process of a kitchen remodel, I assume went to one of the big box stores or a kitchen designer and commissioned them to at least draw up a design and give an estimate or quote.

Is this where you feel the communication lapses on the transferring of the vision of your kitchen? Meaning, does the designer give you a 3d black and white perspective and call it good? Any better? Any worse?

The reason I am asking is that I have always felt that a great, photo realistic rendering would sell itself over a competitor. If you, as the consumer, went to two different places to talk with a cabinet maker or kitchen designer, and one comes to you with a nice photo realistic picture of your future kitchen and the other brought a stale B&W perspective, would that not sway you to go in the direction of the photo realistic person as long as the pricing was similar?

On the flip side of this is the time it takes me to produce the photo realistic rendering. I would have to know on my end if it was worth it to take that extra time to produce this for you. What would you be able to say to me that reassures me that you would be serious about business? It is difficult on my end to make that kind of decision without some form of commitment.

Some clients I talk with, there is no question...they are ready now. Some are on the fence, they are unsure.

So my question is, does a photo realistic photo of your future kitchen make you decide right then and there, or at the least make you seriously consider?

For an example, this photo I attached is a rendering I did for a client in a commercial setting (A restaurant/bar) they wanted a curved seating area. The photo itself sold the project.

This is to get an idea of what I mean by photo realistic. And yes, be assured, that is a rendered model, not a photo of an existing place. It takes me about two hours to do something like this in addition to the design.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths