SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harriethomeowner_gw

Update on 17-year-old cat

harriethomeowner
16 years ago

For anyone puzzled over what this is about, this is a follow-up to the thread from last week about my cat with (alleged, but I'm starting to wonder about it) CRF.

By this time I was sure my kitty would be gone, but he's still here. He's still not eating, though we've managed to get a little nutritional gel into him and a few bits of food. Last night, I put a small dish of wet cat food in front of him, and he started eating it, but then stopped, cried, and hid in a closet. He came back out after a few minutes and did not seem distressed after that.

I asked the vet last week whether kitty might have mouth or stomach ulcers, but the vet said he didn't see any signs of that.

I stopped giving the antibiotics because I was wondering if that was making him feel sick, but I will start them again tonight (I know, I know -- it's bad to do that, but I thought these past few days might be his last, so I wanted to spare him any discomfort).

Other than not eating and the fact that he has not had a bowel movement in almost two weeks, he doesn't seem that sick. His fur is soft and smooth, he smells good, and he's moving around and is pretty alert. He's urinating a normal volume once a day. I also don't see the jaundice the vet mentioned. We're still giving fluids, the Azodyl, the liquid vitamins, and the ciproheptidine, none of which seem that bothersome to the cat.

I really, really don't want to prolong any suffering, but he doesn't seem to be suffering. Any advice or comments appreciated. TIA.

Comments (24)