SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dopeonplastic

$11K to plumb addition. Too high?

dopeonplastic
17 years ago

Here's the details: Added a two story addition to existing two story home. Had contractor build shell and I am subbing out the rest myself. Not to difficult so far. Mostly costs are roughly what I expected. Until I got to the plumbing. We are adding a master bath (2 lavs, WC, Grohe shower with 3 bodysprays/fixed/handheld, drop-in airtub) and moving every thing in the kitchen/laundry around (sink, disposal, dishwasher, ice hookup, laundry hookup). Also outside hose spiket. The waste line will have to be dropped into the 3' crawlspace and run about 50 feet to the other side of the house to tie into the 4" cast iron waste exiting the foundation. No gas work included in quote.

Fixtures are going to run very near $10,000. For reference, the total project budget is approaching $175K and the shell plus some upgrades to windows/siding/roof ran about $100K of that. We are in NJ about 20 miles outside NYC, so prices here are probably higher than elsewhere. I guess my question is if it is somewhat reasonable to pay an amount equal to the cost of fixtures for install of water/DWV lines and install of fixtures.

This plumber is highly recommended and is a top notch tradesman. We didn't go cheap on the whole project. I guess I was expecting the quote to come in $4K-5K less. But then again, I have proven to myself time and again, you get what you pay for. I don't want to be financing a less skilled plumbers education on how to install a Grohe shower and then have it be put in not quite correctly.

i haven't gotten any other bids for plumbing because I am leary on trusting plumbers to do quality work. This guy is the sole plumber for the contractor who built my shell. I have nothing but positives to say about the contractor who built the shell. They have saved me considerable headaches/nightmares by being proactive to solve problems as or before they arise. So if they say they use nobody but this guy, that's pretty much good enough for me. Also, I want to sign someone on to the job this week or next, so I can get them started. Electrician, HVAC, drywall, cabinets... nothing gets done till the rough plumbing is in.

I think by writing all of this out, I've convinced myself that $11K is perhaps inline with this job. It is a pretty large project and copper is really expensive right now.... Any and all opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Comment (1)