10 years ago

San Francisco Chinatown

Comments (12)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

On the waterfront - Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

• bob_cville
    10 years ago

For Anne_ct since she liked my Rio pictures from yesterday.

Selaron's Stairs, which go from the neighborhood Lapa, up to Santa Teresa. The work of a Chilean artist, Jorge Selarón, who pretty much single-handedly created it over several decades.

On my first two trips to Rio, I tried to find the staircase but was unable, but on the third trip finally managed to find it.

I think the man in the bottom center of this image in the orange hat might actually have been the artist, since his house is right along the stairs.

However I didn't have the nerve to climb the stairs.

In looking up the spelling of his name today I found that he passed away about a year ago, under uncertain circumstances, either homicide or suicide brought on by depression over death threats.

I'm sorry now I didn't take the chance and try to meet him.

Descanse em paz, Senhor Selaron.

• glenda_al
    10 years ago

Circus, Ireland

• anne_ct
    10 years ago

Boa tarde, Bob....and once again...obrigado!

I don't remember seeing those stairs...but that doesn't mean I didn't. LOL

I lived at the Regenté on Avenue Atlantica and was royally spoiled for the time that I was there. Apartments were rarely available and there was a very long waiting list for telephones. Even if one could bypass the list...the fee was in the thousands to gain that necessity so it was much easier to live at a hotel.

I still remember the marvelous breakfasts that were put before me every morning that included the wonderful fresh fruit, fresh ham and divine empanadas. And...to this day...I can still smell the aroma of the Churrascaria that was on the next corner.

There were never beggars on the streets in those days and if there were drugs...they weren't in the public eye. I weep to think of what's happened to my wonderful city and wonder what the Olympics will produce. sigh>

Anne

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    10 years ago

Fourth of July parade at Balboa Island, CA

• nicole__
    10 years ago

The Penny arcade, Manitou Springs...

• bob_cville
    10 years ago

Anne,

I looked up that hotel, and it might now be called the Golden Tulip Regente. If so, that's where we stayed on our visit in 2010.

I didn't take any pictures of the hotel itself, but I did take this from the parking area in front of the hotel looking out across the street and the beach.

I then "drove" to the same location in google street view

and looked back toward the hotel:

I also have these pictures from a walk around the hotel area.
    A road up into a Favela

A tunnel under the favela

Inside the tunnel

The other end:

I was walking to the subway stop to go to Lapa to try to find the stairs I showed above, which I think weren't even started until the 1990's.

The bar in the hotel lobby made quite good caipirinhas -- a sua saúde!

• anne_ct
    10 years ago

YES! That's it! I lived in room 703 and every morning I ate breakfast on my deck...gazing out at the ocean. The fisherman would pull up onto the beach and often sold their catch of the day to the Regenté. There was a tunnel under that roadway from the hotel to the beach...and in my day...it was very safe to use.

There was no hotel next to the Regenté when I was there. There was a delightful side street that, also, led up to the favelas...but had a few delightful little businesses along it....and the area was safe. There was a charming little guy who made fresh fruit purés on the corner that I just loved. And...a shoe store on the next corner.

The traffic in front of the hotel simply fascinated me. LOL Having lived in Boston, New York, Chicago and San Francisco...I thought I'd seen the world's craziest cab drivers. LOL Nothing topped the cabbies in Rio...but their accident laws far surpassed ours. If you caused an accident in Rio...you were legally required to stay with the injured until you were legally released. In all the time I was there...I never saw an accident.

Boy! Has Rio grown since I was there. Did the natives still light candles at night on the street corners and beach when you were there? The presence of Macumba was still quite obvious when I was there. Somehow...I doubt it still is. Most of what I saw was dedicated to white magic and as one might imagine...very symbolic.

You mention the hotel bar and all I can remember is the staff who laughed at me because I drink my coffee black. They just couldn't accept that and tried, unsuccessfully, to serve it with hot milk. LOL There was a soft drink...the name of which escapes me at the moment...that I was very fond of. I've never been able to find it state side...but I brought the powder home with me when I returned to California. Sadly...it never tasted the same. Guatinah? I know the spelling's not right...but phonetically...that's its name.

Obrigado, Bob. Your photos are such a treat!

Anne

• bob_cville
    10 years ago

It might be Guaraná soda that you are remembering, with the most popular brand being "Guaraná Antarctica".

Here are a couple more shots from that immediate locale.

Fishing boats at the end of the beach in Copacabana

and Fort Copacabana which is just behind where the boats are.

It was built to defend Rio, and has old guns there that are big enough that you can put your head in the barrel.

• bengardening
    10 years ago

casey are those lanterns and do they light up at night? I have never been to California

• anne_ct
    10 years ago

Yes...Guaraná soda! That's it! Obrigado.

The Fort that I remember was at the end of a long jetty just off of the beach in the area near those fishing boats. In the picture you're showing, it looks like a newer building. But, then again, all of your photos indicate how much my Rio has grown and changed. Thirty-eight years have made an immeasurable difference not to be unexpected. I loved Rio and the natives. It and they inspired me. I wonder if I would today. And I can't help but fear that the Olympics will take away the last remnants of my Rio. But I have to accept that growth is good and perhaps it will clean up the drug infested mess that's been so prevalent these last several years.

Once again...my deepest thanks and appreciation for the time you've taken to post these photos. They're wonderful!

Anne

• anne_ct
    10 years ago

I tried to add this to my original message but couldn't get it to post. If this appears twice...please forgive me.

Perhaps I should add that your photos are so appreciated because all mine and related memorabilia were lost/destroyed during my move from California to Connecticut. Aside from news sites and Nat'l Geo...I have had no visual enjoyment for eons. Does my enthusiasm make a little more sense now? :-) Again...obrigado.