SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmarcel

Mixing furniture styles in LR

Karen Marcely
13 years ago

I've written a couple posts and asked for help with fabric for chairs and couch opinions. After weeks of looking at chairs I am back to square one. I have found a modern, not too contemporary, no skirt, straight wooden legs sofa that I want to get in celery green color. My problem is the finding 2 accent chairs with fabric I like, Either I like the fabric, but cannot get in a chair I like or visa/versa. I currently have 2 hunter green wing back Queen Anne style chairs. These are perfect size because so many accent chairs are very deep and I have a narrow LR.

My question is can I mix these 2 styles? I would find fabric and have re-upholstered in a pattern, possibly stripe with oranges, greens and beiege color. I know exactly what fabric I want (in my head).

The decorators at the furniture stores seem to think I need to match the wood leg styles on all the furniture, but if you read any decorating blogs online; they're all about mixing different period styles. I have read many sites where they say it's more interesting to mix up period styles and make it work with the colors coordinating.

Would like to know what all of you experienced decorators think.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!