SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flatcoat2004

Outdoor light fixture suggestions ?

flatcoat2004
16 years ago

I am having the hardest time finding outdoor light fixtures that I like. I need three of them for the back of the house, each will be positioned above a doorway. Two of them will be used to light the deck, and one to light the stairs to the basement.

I am in California, so Title 24 says that outdoor lighting needs to be either fluorescent or motion sensor/photocell controlled. I am not keen on the latter, since I live close (very close !) to rather intolerant neighbours, who would give me a really hard time if the lights went on at odd hours.

Anyway, I digress. The house is a little Victorian cottage, and I want something simple and unostentatious. Many of the lights in the stores are either 1. very industrial and utilitarian, 2. very fancy with scrollwork and curlicues, or 3. Craftsman inspired, which I like but is nothing like the rest of the house.

Here is a picture of one of the places an outdoor light will be installed ...

I have only found a couple lights that vaguely appeal to me ... this one is a Kichler, but only comes in brushed nickel, black and "olde brick" ...

And this one from Hudson Valley is out of my price range (at about $300) ...

To be honest, I don't even know what colour light I should get. Suggestions ?

Comments (7)