SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittens_gw

Cat Safe Flea Repellent

kittens
12 years ago

I have 2 cats that have access to an outdoor kennel that came in last week with fleas. Ugh! This is the first time I've had to deal with fleas in probably 20 years.

I had dusted the kennel with DE early this spring. But, gave it up since there wasn't any signs of fleas until last week. I ended up treating my cats with pesticide (Advantage II) and dusted my entire house with DE. It didn't seem like the Advantage was working or they were getting re-infested when they went outside. I have been dusting the kennel with DE again however, it keeps raining!

I banished them from going outside to keep the bugs off them and to prevent a house infestation. That resulted in a behavioral problem and my one cat has started peeing in my house. The kennel is such an enrichment to their lives, I'd rather them use the kennel than address the behavioral issue. They spend hours out there and I hated to take that away from them. So, it's fleas or pee right now :(.

I'm looking for something I can put down in their kennel that is safe for them or a chemical if I have to. I was thinking of something like cedar chips but believe cedar is toxic for cats. It's a 40 foot kennel, most is sand and part is lawn. Does anyone have any suggestions they can toss out for me? I can keep using the DE but it's not helping if I have to constantly re-apply. (Plus part of there kennel is under my deck so there's only a 3 foot crawl space for me - not easy).

Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)