SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jadeite_z7

help with choosing water softener?

jadeite
11 years ago

I've been lurking on this forum for about a year, trying to learn about water softener systems. We had our water analyzed, and these are the results:

Nitrogen, Nitrate (as N): 0.86 mg/L

Dissolved metals:
Calcium 49 mg/L
Magnesium 5.6 mg/L

Hardness (as CaCO3): 140 mg/L

pH 7.85

Alkalinity:
Bicarbonate (as CaCO3) 160 mg/L CaCO3

Total dissolved solids: 221 mg/L

Sulphur: 6.7 mg/L

Everything else (iron, manganese, turbidity, VOCs) is below detectable limits.

We have had a recommendation for the local Kinetico dealer who quoted us $2795 + tax for a 2040S, including installation.

We are on city water, we are a household of 2 adults, occasional visitors. We have 3 bathrooms but never more than 1 in use at a time, 1 kitchen, 1 laundry. Our average monthly use is estimated at 3000-4000 gals, not including irrigation which we plan to bypass. Water comes in at 65 psi in 1" piping.

Based on the water analysis, we are thinking of a carbon filter for kitchen (faucet and fridge) to remove the chlorine in the water which is high at times.

What would you knowledgeable people recommend for softening, what makes/models, what size etc.? Are we better off just signing with Kinetico? From everything I've heard they are solidly reliable but expensive. Is this cost justified, or would we be better off with Fleck or some other manufacturer, and finding a plumber to do installation? My husband is handy and capable of doing simple maintenance and repair, but he doesn't want to take on installation of something he doesn't understand.

Thank you for your help,
Cheryl

Comments (2)