SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quasifish

Now my other kitty is sick

quasifish
15 years ago

I've posted here from time to time about my CRF cat, who we've been treating for 2.5 years at this point.

We also have her brother, who has always been the epitome of health. 6 weeks ago he broke a fang, so I immediately took him into the vet, fearing it might lead to a heart infection- and certainly it hurt since it was broken all the way to the root.

I've heard it isn't uncommon for cats to develop CRF after anesthesia and dental work, but it didn't matter at the time because he needed that root out.

His pre-surgical bloodwork showed him to be in excellent health. 5 weeks later he was not feeling well, so in we went and it seems his kidney values are now high. The vet didn't rule out that he may have just been dehydrated from some other short-term kitty illness, but the way she spoke, I kind of got the feeling that she wasn't optimistic that it was something that was going to go away.

Now he's on fluids for the next 2 weeks and then we go back to recheck and see if he's better, or what.

I am a mess over this. I knew there was a possibility before I took him in for the tooth, but didn't feel like there was any choice in the matter. Cursed if you do, cursed if you don't.

I cannot imagine having 2 CRF cats in the household. Having 1 is emotionally draining and sometimes a financial strain. I'm not sure how I will do it with 2. I'll do the best I can for both of them, but everything just feels so mixed up right now. It's been a really rough year and my boy cat was about the last trouble-free thing in my life at this point. I'm so sad for him, and I guess myself too. This really stinks.

Comments (3)