SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vintagegardener_gw

need help from shih tzu owners

vintagegardener
14 years ago

My shih tzu just turned 4 months old.Her name is Cricket and I love her very much.She is such a sweet lady.I have read about shih tzus on the internet and I do not find the answer I want.

Crickets hair is growing fast and when she goes outside to releive herself she comes back in the house with poop on her backside.My question is can I shave her butt to keep this from happening.I am comparing her grooming to my lhasa apso I had.When my lhasa apso was alive I would shave her butt and pluck the hairs out of her ears(the vet told my to do that)

When I first got cricket and took her to the vet to start her shots I asked my vet about shaving her butt and trimming the hairs out of her ears.He told me that is not neccessary unless she has trouble with pushing to move her bowels.Well she doesn't have trouble doing that but her backside is a mess.So can I shave her?

FWIW___It has been so long since I've had a puppy and the vet spayed her at the age of 3 months.I was suprised that he did that at such a young age but he told me the little dogs recover fast.Just thought I would mention that.I never knew vets would do that I always thought they would have to be at least 6 mths old.

Could someone tell me please how to take care of this problem? How do you groom your shih tzu? TIA

Comments (6)