SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thomaspultz

Best Way to Move a Toilet Closet Flange? (w/pics)

Tom Pultz
16 years ago

The 1st picture shows the existing toilet closet (obscured by insulation) draining straight down... it merges into the main drain a couple of feet below. The vent is the 2" pipe near the top on the left... the 2" pipe on the right is the drain for the bath sink.

This 2nd picture shows a bit more of the bath drain piping. What I need to do is move the closet flange to the same floor joist bay as the bath drain, and in the same relative location from the wall (in other words, two bays to the right).

The 3rd picture are the main fittings I think will do the job. The one on the left would replace the existing sanitary tee and connect up to the vent. I'm hoping the center fitting will allow me to merge the bath drain into the new toilet drain line, and those on the right will connect up to the new closet flange location.

If the fittings shown are suitable, is there a specific orientation of the middle fitting that I need to be aware of... that is, should the bath drain merge from the top or can it come in from the side... or is there a better solution to hook this all up?

Since the bath is gutted I will probably cut a large section of the floor away and try and do most of the work from above since the crawl space is very cramped in that location due to the main heating duct being in the way (as you can see).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (3)