SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardningrandma

Lucky, lets continue our dog food discussion here.

gardningrandma
13 years ago

Me and another member of gardenweb started a discussion about dog food in the trees forum. Since it was "hijacking a thread" and majorly off topic, I suggested we continue the subject here.

Just some background for the rest of you. This all started in the post about safe trees for horse pastures that have red fall color. Rather than give a helpful response, one member said to ask the OP's own vet. To which I replied, "I can't even get my vet to suggest a brand of dog food, I can't imagine what they'd say if I asked which trees have a certain fall leaf color."

Coincidentally, there actually was a vet on the board that has in depth knowledge about both trees and animals.

Even though my comment was rhetorical, The forum member, Lucky, who is a veterinarian, replied to me that they feed their dog Purina.

Then I asked why they would feed their dog Purina when it has such low quality ingredients, zero meat (unless you consider poultry by-product meal to be meat), and is mostly a bag of cornmeal with some food coloring- presumably to make the Chinese melamine look more appetizing.

I'm hoping to persuade this vet that goes by the name of Lucky to try some dog food that has higher quality ingredients and some meat in it, less grain or no grain and no food coloring. They feel Purina is adequate feed. I agree it's adequate to just barely keep an animal alive. But if you want this pet to have a healthy coat and have some energy and live a longer healthier life, it doesn't come close.

I have pointed out already that they are probably spending more money on purina because they have to feed more of it to get the sustenance.

Lucky, are you there?

Comments (9)