SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bart_2010

Let's discuss mounding bare-root roses!

bart_2010
10 years ago

Inspired by DrPekeMom's thread,I decided to start another focusing on the concept of mounding newly planted bare-root roses in warmer climates. Here in the foothills of the Appenines in Tuscany, Italy, I guess the climate could be roughly considered as a zone 8,but ,when we're lucky enough to have "normal" weather, autumn tends to be very rainy, even dank, with the short days, etc.So far, temperatures have not yet gone down to zero degrees Celsius,so no freezing, as of yet.
Last week I planted out my first batch of bare-root roses, which I recieved from Stange. The plants look excellent, nice and moist on arrival,but as is usual ,they ARE sprouting a bit of leaf buds This is by no means unusual for me. I've been planting bare-root roses for over ten years now; I think that the plants, heeled in at the nursery, DO tend to continue growing a bit until it gets cold enough to completely shut them down.In fact, in my order just recieved from Lens, two of the plants still have leaves on them! And I have found over the years that the quality of the Lens bare-roots is absolutely excellent.
I haven't mounded anything yet. It's been so damp and not cold. But, in spite of several years of experience, I remain confused and perplexed about mounding! In the past, I have learned the hard way that it is unwise for me to use ANYTHING organic to mound,beleive it or not!!! at least, nothing organic in contact with the canes. I'm not sure why, but in the past,one year, I had problems with disease; canes turning black and dying when mounded with organic stuff.(I lost a lot of my bare-roots that year...) I suspect that the problem is due to my climate: that year in particular, we had a very cold snap,with snow, followed by a long phase of warmish, very wet weather.Asking around on forums for help,I received different ideas: some very experienced rose people said that ,since 0 degrees Celsius was no problem for roses,that I shouldn't bother with mounding,for example...Elsewhere, I've read that you should only start mounding them AFTER the first freeze...
It's pretty clear that the whole thing centers around climate, IMHO : and NOT just USDA zones! because it makes perfect sense to me that, in a climate where it is dry and not very cold,you WOULD need to mound, to maintain the moisture. In a climate where it gets very cold and stays that way until spring, one probably wouldn't have the kind of disease issues that those of us in climates where there are lots of temperature swings must face.I myself was planning to eventually mound all my new implants, but was thinking to do so only once the forecast was for temperatures to go below zero Celsius, but after reading Kim's comment and seeing the link, I'm once again filled with doubt. I'd love to hear other rose growers experiences and opinions about mounding...regards, bart

Comments (8)