SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flyingtim01

Well Water Test Results

12 years ago

My fiancee and I are closing on a new (102 year old) house next week. After having the well tested during the inspection, it was found to have E coli as well as coliform bacteria present. We explored some other options with the seller, and agreed to have them install a UV filter and chlorinate the well and entire system. We had the well tested again after the filter was installed and the system was chlorinated, and no further bacteria was found.

However, I'm curious as to the other results of the water test, as far as what we can expect from our water when we move in. Here are the results:

Ph - 6.8 SU

Turbidity - .55 NTU

Color - 10 CU

Odor - 0 TON

Fluoride - ND

Chloride - 33 mg/L

Nitrite Nitrogen - ND

Nitrate Nitrogen - 3.0 mg/L

Sulfate - 34 mg/l

Calcium - 34 mg/L

Magnesium - 4 mg/L

Hardness - 103 mg/L

Sodium - 19.3 mg/L

Copper - .15 mg/L

Iron - .40 mg.L

Manganese - ND

According to this test, only the Iron is on the high side, their 'limit' is 0.3 mg/L. Is that enough a high enough iron content to stain clothing and cause problems with a hot water heater, or warrant the need for a water softener?

We haven't yet moved in, so I can't say if the water is clear, and red particles settle to the bottom, or if it comes out and is immediately red or yellow tinged, I'm just curious if someone can look at these results and let me know what we should be expecting. Thanks!

Comments (6)