SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnwomanbc

Sibling cats - one getting tubby, the other not...

mtnwomanbc
16 years ago

I have siblings, Bonnie and Clyde -- both are neutered, which I know makes males more susceptible to weight gain. They are 8 years old now, and while Bonnnie is okay weight-wise, Clyde could lose a few (he's 21 lbs, and should be about 18-19 lbs -- he's big and long, but just a a bit too fat, and has some fatty deposits on his lower back, near spine). I generally have bought good quality non-grocery store brands (Max cat, Science Diet, Felidae, others...switch around since they get finicky), with canned food as a treat once or twice a day.

From another post, I realized I need to reverse this order, make wet food a priority, and less grazing on dry food. So first thing is the communal dry food silo has to go.

But what can I do to reduce Clyde's weight while not affecting Bonnie, other than changing the wet/dry priority of her food? I read on other posts about mixing in veggies...should I try that just for Clyde?

BTW, although she's the "alpha cat", he does bully her out of the way on the feeding tray, so we generally feed her wet food on a certain area of the kitchen counter for only the time it takes for her to eat, so grazing is not allowed there. I hope that makes sense.

Comments (8)