SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbluetyphoon

Soot Emitting From Kitchen Gas Range Pipe

mbluetyphoon
15 years ago

Hi!

The other day, I thought, Wonderful! I am going to get this brand new gas range finally hooked up in my kitchen! The tech who came out connected all of the pipes that needed to be connected on the stove. Then he came to the gas pipe to connect it to the stove.

He "bled" the gas pipe, and this odor came out, which I had expected, but so did this small amount of soot. He then decided to do these other things around my house, and return to connect the gas pipe later.

5 hours later, he then tried reconnecting the gas pipe to the range. He "bled" the gas pipe again, this odor was emitted, and out came all of this soot worse than the first time he "bled" the gas pipe! I mean, a lot of soot was emitted which came out in small flakes and tiny crumbs! It took me awhile to clean up all of this mess.

The tech suggested that he would install a t-pipe horizontally to the gas pipe so that the gas going to the range would flow cleanly through one side of the "t" and to the range, and the soot residue would fall into the other side of the "t" via gravity.

I am not sure what to make of all of this, except that I am really disappointed with what I had seen.

I do live in an old house, and I do have old piping.

What is causing this soot residue? And, would something like what this tech is suggesting with the t-pipe remedy the problem?

To me, I would think that after awhile, if there is enough soot in the gas line, there will not be enough room for all of this soot to be held in that area of the t-pipe he is proposing, and that the soot would have no where else to go but up to the area in the t-pipe providing the entryway for gas to the range.

I have looked everywhere on the forums, and could not find an answer to my situation. Please help!

Sincerely,

MBlueTyphoon

Comments (2)