SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naturegurl_gw

Neighbor's cat

naturegurl
16 years ago

I live in an area where my neighbors are fairly standoffish (although quite nosy through their blinds!). So I try my best to keep to myself and ignore everyone, but a situation has come up that I can't ignore. A neighbor catty-corner from my house has put up their house for sale, rather suddenly it seems, as no one has lived in it since the sign went up, the yard is completely overgrown, the wife has only been by a couple of times briefly to bring trash to the curb...okay, now I sound like the one peeking through the blinds!!! Anyways, they have a cat, a lovely white kitty who is very friendly and well-known in the neighborhood, and spends most of his time indoors. I know they, at least the husband, really cared about the cat, as they sort of "adopted" him when he showed up on their doorstep. Snowy made it perfectly clear that he was not strictly an indoor cat however, and despite their best efforts to keep him close, he wandered the streets frequently, which was a source of frustration and significant financial expense at times, particularly when he got into bad fights. Well, after several weeks of the house being vacant, I saw Snowy for the first time tonight while walking my dog. I rushed home to put the dog inside, then grabbed a handful of kitty kibble and ran over to see if Snowy looked hungry, injured, etc. He looked fine, he purred and rubbed up against my leg as usual and he ate some food but not voraciously, so I suspect he's being fed by other neighbors. But I'm wondering if I should do something. Specifically, and this is where I need to know if I'm crossing a line or not, I was thinking of calling the realtor, who I know only from getting a market analysis done of my house, and asking her if the homeowners are looking for their cat, because I just saw him and was concerned that he was looking for them. I'd hate to think that they just abandoned him. If I knew that they made arrangements for another neighbor to look after him I would feel a lot better. I don't want to sound like the crazy nozy neighbor I'm always complaining about, but where pets are concerned I do get a little emotionally involved in their wellbeing, whether they belong to me or not. I care less about the circumstances that caused the neighbors to abandon ship suddenly than I do about the kitty having a safe place to sleep at night. And me keeping him is not an option for several reasons.

What do you think? Should I make the call or should I mind my own business?

Comments (12)