SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darenka

Tips for dealing with a Husky?

darenka
14 years ago

My husband brought home a Siberian Husky that needs to be taken care of for three weeks. I have no experience with this breed and I guess I'm looking for insight. Are they all Naughty? I swear this one can get into trouble in a padded cell--if I could keep him in there. He seems to escape out of everything, has absolutely no recall, and after 3 days of working with him--still has no recall. The 1st day walking, he jerked the leash out of my hand and it took 2+ hours to get him caught. The problem solving abilities prove that he's very bright, I just cannot seem to teach him anything that he can retain. It's almost as if he has ADD. Is this typical? I exercise my dogs actively for 1 1/2-2 hours a day, do Huskies need more (no sled for him to pull). He's completely uninterested in puzzles like the buster cube--his one interest seems to be in shredding everything he can find from dog toys to shoes. Supposedly he's six, and from clues I can see, that seems about right. I am unable to contact the owner to ask him questions. (Just another shocking thing as far as I'm concerned--I probably overload my doggy sitters with information.) He's quite adorable in many, many ways...but he's driving me a bit batty. He doesn't want to eat at scheduled meal times (I cannot free feed because I have a lab that thinks he's a Hoover) so the Husky picks up the bowl and drops it at my feet 20x a day. I keep reasoning that he'll learn to eat in the allotted 15 minutes I'm willing to bowl sit. Am I completely deluding myself? I certainly don't want to be cruel. I've had many dogs through my house as rescue dogs, but all of them were retrievers. I thought I was relatively good with dogs, but this one has me flummoxed. So... are there any Husky secrets you could provide? And do they all shed 1000 percent more than the average dog? As a side note, are there any husband training techniques you know?

Comments (22)