SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plumbly22

cushings.... thoughts???

plumbly22
16 years ago

Our 13 yo beagle mix mutt was diagnoised with Cushings about 18 months ago... for a variety of reasons, including my husband who grew up on a farm... and thus 'it's only a dog', we opted NOT to medicate her....

Prior to her diagnosis she had developed cataracts and is not blind, but her sight it not the best...

She is always ravenous and thirsty, plus her body is HOT... she typically only lays on the tile floor or hardwood and when she gets up the place where she has been is warm...

Currently, her coat is terrible, huge chunks of fur and a layer or more of skin will come off at times, and then regrow. She does not appear to be in pain, although she has a hugh growth between her front legs, on the left side. I'm guessing this is the tumor they tend to grow with Cushings... when she lays on her side, her fron leg sticks up and out as oppose to dropping down to the floor with the other leg.

She gets VERY winded when out walking. Our drive is 500+ feet long, when she walks with me in the morning to get the paper, she will need to lay down to rest for a few minutes about half way back up the drive. She's never been an "active" dog, much more the laid back dog. She was still getting up to take the children to their school buses last spring and to meet them when they returned (how is it they KNOW about 5 minutes prior to that bus arriving to do the 'dance' at the door???)

She still gets excited to see friends arrive, or us return if we've been out...

She is starting to become more and more incontinent... although she rarely has accidents in the house unless we've been gone for longer than normal during the day. As long as we put her out at bedtime she typically makes it through the night without waking us to go out.

She no longer comes up or down the house stairs that are not carpeted, menaing she does not come up to sleep under my bed anymore, but she will go up and down the deck steps (about 8).

Since the DH doesn not want to medicate her, and the children are openly hostile to the idea of taking her to the vet since she does not appear to be in pain, I'm in a real quandry... am I being fair to her by not putting her down? Does she really have any qualtiy of life? I know she enjoys seeing us and being with us, she still gets up on the sofa with us when we're sitting there... and is right with us when we're doing things outside.

comments???

Comments (20)

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I researched a few threads on Cushings recently and it was helpful to me as far as understanding the disease, our 13 year old Bichon was diagnosed with cushings recently. The disease caused bladder stones, which needed to be surgically removed. We started a course of treatment 2 days ago with Lysopren
    (sounds like this), it can be a dangerous drug so has to be monitored closely for dosage specially the 1 st week.

Too bad your dh won't let you get medication for her; I'll post back in a few weeks once I see if the medication is alleviating my dog's symptoms; mine was 100% incontinent because of the stones of course, so I'll be able to judge better once the drugs kick in.
    From what I understood from the vet, the medication I am giving her will shorten her life, but it will prevent more stone formation and make her more comfortable .
    Our vet also changed her food .

cushings cannot be cured but it can be managed so the dog is more comfortable.

I'm still trying to learn as much as I can about cushings.

• dobesrule
    16 years ago

The tumor that causes cushings is on the pituitary gland. I don't think that's what you are seeing. It could be a large fatty tumor or it could be cancerous. It's really hard tell say as to whether your dogs symptoms are completly related to the cushings or ageing or other things going on. She really sounds like she needs veterinary attention. Incontinence can be easily treated in a lot of cases. You also says she seems hot, is she panting a lot even when inactive? In dogs that is a good indicator of pain. I can tell you that their would be heck to pay around here if hubby said no treatment for one of the dogs that were in need,that man's life would be miserable I understand too tho that every situation is different and you need to do what is best in your situation. Good luck with her.

Lisa

• Related Discussions

Meghane and others, help: Cushings, Hypothyroid & kidney failure.

Q

Comments (1)
    I can't help much with the meds but can tell you I owned a miniature poodle that always had elevated alkphos (in the 600's) for years and one vet finally told me that it was just normal for my dog. He was diagnosed with Cushings in his final 2 years but I was never convinced the tests were accurate since my dog never had 'true' cushings symptoms. The symptoms he did have, and died from, were more indicative of a brain tumor. I wish you the best with your little gal.
    ...See More

need helpful thoughts/comments on my labs poor health

Q

Comments (34)
    I am so sorry about your loss. Poor Jane knew that you were doing everything you could for her. I lost my Megan like this in January. For her, though, there we absolutely no signs that she was ill until she had internal bleeding from a liver cancer tumor that burst. At the emergency vet, they took one look at her, said "She's a lab mix, so this is probably cancer. If it is in her liver, we'll call you right during the surgery to euthanize her." Liver cancer seems to be common for labs. Well, they were right, and they put her to sleep while she was still under anesthetic from the surgery. I drove back there and petted her until she was cold. I am so sorry to hear of your Jane. I know how you feel about your Jane's suffering. You did everything you could for her, and she tried her hardest for you. You will remember her wonderful presence in your life forever. She is a part of you by way of the lessons she taught you about love and devotion. You will mourn the lack of her company, but a part of her remains in the person you have become. I will think of you and your Jane girl often and send you thoughts of healing and comfort.
    ...See More

Bon, re earthquakes

Q

Comments (1)
    Hey, Amy! Sorry, I missed this. Been busy with the kids for midterm and my new job. I'm hooked up with Mr. Poynter via facebook. Nice guy. I have been reluctant to file as the city is still in denial. They have been known to be nasty if you're on their poo list. We're too poor to fight. I changed my mind after the recent 5.0. If the city wants to take our property away, then they are only taking property that is likely to be destroyed and decrease in value, anyway. For now, everything seems to be well. I'm really feeling for Pawnee. They are bombarded with quakes, lately. bon
    ...See More

No Cushings for Emily

Q

Comments (12)
    When it rains, it pours. I'm sorry everything seems to be happening at once, Kath. Glad to hear your dad is improving. I had the same problem with my dog many years ago and yes, the urine did permeate the vinyl flooring. I was lucky, I was able to pull it up (squares) and scrub the back and reset it. My dog was perfectly healthy other than nighttime incontinence which began when she was 8. We made a dog house for her in the garage next to the house wall. Because the garage floor had a drain, we could just hose it down. She lived happily for another 6 years. Every morning when I let her in and petted her, she felt toasty warm even in frigid winters. I think there are pills you can get for the problem but it created another problem because the male dogs in the neighborhood thought she was in heat. :-)))
    ...See More
  • cindyb_va
    16 years ago

plumbly22,

A number of the symptoms you are listing are probably not due to Cushings, and are simply "old dog syndrome". I recently lost a 16 year old beagle mix that was first diagnosed with Cushings when he was 12ish (he died of age related causes, not Cushings). Because of his advanced age at diagnosis, and the fact that my vet told me the treatment could cause serious, potentially lethal, side effects, I also opted for no-meds.

You really need to discuss all of your dog's other symptoms with your vet along with the specifics of Cushings.

As dogs age, more frequent wellness visits to the vet are necessary. The "running hot", for example, is probably age-related; ditto the winded when walking. Her frumpy coat condition might mean you need to switch her to a higher quality food. She probably avoids stairs because she slipped/fell at some point. The tumor is probably not Cushings related either, but older dogs do tend to get fatty tumors.

But you need a vet to look at your dog and confirm what is causing what, especially the labored breathing and tumor. Labored breathing sometimes indicates heart issues. She sounds very alert and active for an old gal to me, so I suspect it's not "time" for any big decisions yet. But please take her to the vet for a wellness exam and discuss her issues with the doctor.

Good luck!!

• annzgw
    16 years ago

As others have said, a lot of what you're seeing could be age related, or due to pain. Not climbing stairs is usually due to pain in the back or legs and being 'hot' could mean she's running a fever.

The tumor sounds large and is probably uncomfortable and I doubt it has anything to do with Cushings. Didn't your vet say anything about the tumor?

I, too, would override DH when it comes to my pets.

• cindyxeus
    16 years ago

This may be a double post as the other one got lost in Cyber space somewhere!
    Anyway there is 3 reasons for Cushings,: a pituitary tumor, an adrenal tumor, or veterinary interference. Because Cushings mimics old age symptoms the only way to know for sure is to see how the dog responds to treatment. below is an very good link describing Cushing's basics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cushing Disease basics

• mazer415
    16 years ago

treatments for Cushings are very successful these days, I am not certain why your husband is so against treatment, my question is why would you withhold treatment that will help your dog not live without pain. Obviously your dog is in discomfort at best, if you choose not to treat your dog, why let her suffer???

• cindyxeus
    16 years ago

I just wanted to add something else and that is I disagree with some about the dogs symptoms not being related to Cushings, in fact a lot of what the poster described is very typical of Cushings. I don't know your dogs health records, only your vet could make the correct decision on whether your dog would be a good canidate for treament or not. However being you did post this on a public forum & for the benefit of education on this subject,IMO it would have been in your dogs best interest to try the treatment 18 months ago when he was first diagnosed, and there is still hope that you may be able to help relieve some of these symptoms now with treatment unless of course your vet feels not.

• plumbly22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Vet was not totally in favor of starting treatment, given her medical history and general poor health. Basically said it 'might' make her more comfortable and slow down deterioration, but given the other health issues she deals with was giving us the medication option... and personally indicated less than 25% of their cushings dogs are treated...

For those of you who said take her to the vet... hello... we do that regularly...

Basically, the dog does not appear to be in stress... just aging more rapidly than maybe she should be. My children are adamant they do not want her put down unless she's in pain or other distress. Husband is non-commital on the issue, will do whatever we decide.

She really isn't a "problem" to deal with... I was just looking for others thoughts on when may be the right time to take action other than what we have done. She's very arthritic, partially blind, and certainly not active any longer, since a walk to get the paper winds her.... but she IS cared for and maintained...

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

OK. How about a trip to the vet to assess for pain? Not doing stairs, panting, running hot. All are indicators. You obviously don't want the dog to suffer, so I would say have a discussion with your vet about meds that could make her more comfortable. A food change may be in order too. (the poor coat), and supplements for the joint discomfort(glucosamine chondroiton, and omega 3) if she isn't on them already. Maybe a pain med for really bad days.

• dobesrule
    16 years ago

Just a thought to throw out there but I have a 15 year old Chow that was hesitant to get up due to arthritis, sleeping most of the time, wouldn't ask to go outdoors anymore and was beginning to have accidents in the house which she had never done before. I started accupunture treatments with her and she is a different dog. You can really see that she just generally feels better and is much more active, no more poops in the house either.

Lisa

• cindyxeus
    16 years ago

Vet was not totally in favor of starting treatment, given her medical history and general poor health.
    She is always ravenous and thirsty, plus her body is HOT...
    Currently, her coat is terrible, huge chunks of fur and a layer or more of skin will come off at times, and then regrow
    These above statements are typical Cushings symptoms, not old age. I honestly beleive you could treat for the Cushings and possibly relieve some of the worst symptoms. You will still have to deal with the aging process but no one can tell you for sure if the end will justify the means or not, only a try at the treatment will provide those answers.
    Now if your dog had a serious terminal disease in addition to Cushings I would say it wouldn't be fair to the dog, but from your posts on this I'm not seeing that. Please know I am not judging I just don't think your understanding the help that is actually available for this.

• cindyxeus
    16 years ago

Please know I am not judging I just don't think your understanding the help that is actually available for this

Sorry I meant to add depending on what type of problem is causing the Cushings.

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

lysodren is the drug that my dog has started taking, she only started monday and so far is reacting well; the dog has to be very well monitored after day 3 on the medication since the drug can have very adverse reactions.

• Meghane
    16 years ago

Since having cushing's disease is a permanent ovedose of steroids, I am copying the drug information for glucocorticoids from a veterinary drug handbook. By looking at the effects glucocorticoids have, you may better be able to understand your dog's condition.

EFFECRS OF GLUCOCORTICOIDS
    Cardiovascular System: Glucocorticoids can reduce capillary permeability and enhance vasoconstriction. A relatively clinically insignificant positive inotropic effect can occur after glucocorticoid administration. Increased blood pressure can result from both the drugs' vasoconstrictive properties and increased blood volume that may be produced.

Cells: Glucocorticoids inhibit fibroblast proliferation, macrophage response to migration inhibiting factor, sensitization of lymphocytes and the cellular response to mediators of inflammation. Glucocorticoids stabilize lysosomal membranes.

CNS/Autonomic Nervous System: Glucocorticoids can lower seizure threshold, alter mood and behavior, diminish the response to pyrogens, stimulate appetite and maintain alpha rhythm. Glucocorticoids are necessary for normal adrenergic receptor sensitivity.

Endocrine System: When animals are not stressed, glucocorticoids will suppress the release of ACTH from the anterior pituitary, thereby reducing or preventing the release of endogenous corticosteroids. Stress factors (e.g., renal disease, liver disease, diabetes) may sometimes nullify the suppressing aspects of exogenously administered steroids. Release of thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), prolactin and luteinizing hormone (LH) may all be reduced when glucocorticoids are administered at pharmacological doses. Conversion of thyroxine (T4) to triiodothyronine (T3) may be reduced by glucocorticoids; and plasma levels of parathyroid hormone increased. Glucocorticoids may inhibit osteoblast function. Vasopressin (ADH) activity is reduced at the renal tubules and diuresis may occur. Glucocorticoids inhibit insulin binding to insulin-receptors and the post-receptor effects of insulin.

Hematopoietic System: Glucocorticoids can increase the numbers of circulating platelets, neutrophils and red blood cells, but platelet aggregation is inhibited. Decreased amounts of lymphocytes (peripheral), monocytes and eosinophils are seen as glucocorticoids can sequester these cells into the lungs and spleen and prompt decreased release from the bone marrow. Removal of old red blood cells is diminished. Glucocorticoids can cause involution of lymphoid tissue.

GI Tract and Hepatic System: Glucocorticoids increase the secretion of gastric acid, pepsin and trypsin. They alter the structure of mucin and decrease mucosal cell proliferation. Iron salts and calcium absorption are decreased while fat absorption is increased. Hepatic changes can include increased fat and glycogen deposits within hepatocytes, increased serum levels of alanine aminotransferase (ALT) and gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT). Significant increases can be seen in serum alkaline phosphatase levels. Glucocorticoids can cause minor increases in BSP (bromosulfophthalein) retention time.

Immune System (also see Cells and Hematopoietic System): Glucocorticoids can decrease circulating levels of T-lymphocytes; inhibit lymphokines; inhibit neutrophil, macrophage, and monocyte migration; reduce production of interferon; inhibit phagocytosis and chemotaxis; antigen processing; and diminish intracellular killing. Specific acquired immunity is affected less than nonspecific immune responses. Glucocorticoids can also antagonize the complement cascade and mask the clinical signs of infection. Mast cells are decreased in number and histamine synthesis is suppressed. Many of these effects only occur at high or very high doses and there are species differences in response.

Metabolic effects: Glucocorticoids stimulate gluconeogenesis. Lipogenesis is enhanced in certain areas of the body (e.g., abdomen) and adipose tissue can be redistributed away from the extremities to the trunk. Fatty acids are mobilized from tissues and their oxidation is increased. Plasma levels of triglycerides, cholesterol and glycerol are increased. Protein is mobilized from most areas of the body (not the liver).

Musculoskeletal: Glucocorticoids may cause muscular weakness (also caused if there is a lack of glucocorticoids), atrophy, and osteoporosis. Bone growth can be inhibited via growth hormone and somatomedin inhibition, increased calcium excretion and inhibition of vitamin D activation. Resorption of bone can be enhanced. Fibrocartilage growth is also inhibited.

Ophthalmic: Prolonged corticosteroid use (both systemic or topically to the eye) can cause increased intraocular pressure and glaucoma, cataracts and exophthalmos.

Renal, Fluid, & Electrolytes: Glucocorticoids can increase potassium and calcium excretion; sodium and chloride reabsorption and extracellular fluid volume. Hypokalemia and/or hypocalcemia occur rarely. Diuresis may occur following glucocorticoid administration.

Skin: Thinning of dermal tissue and skin atrophy can be seen with glucocorticoid therapy. Hair follicles can become distended and alopecia may occur.

Adverse effects are generally associated with long-term administration of these drugs, especially if given at high dosages or not on an alternate day regimen. Effects generally are manifested as symptoms of hyperadrenocorticism. Many of the potential effects, adverse and otherwise, are outlined above in the Pharmacology section. In dogs, polydipsia (PD), polyphagia (PP) and polyuria (PU), may all be seen with short-term "burst" therapy as well as with alternate-day maintenance therapy on days when the drug is given. Adverse effects in dogs can include dull, dry haircoat, weight gain, panting, vomiting, diarrhea, elevated liver enzymes, pancreatitis, GI ulceration, lipidemias, activation or worsening of diabetes mellitus, muscle wasting and behavioral changes (depression, lethargy, viciousness). With the exception of PU/PD/PP, adverse effects associated with antiinflammatory therapy are relatively uncommon. Adverse effects associated with immunosuppressive doses are more common and potentially more severe.

As far as evaluating quality of like, ask yourself what are 5 things your dog used to love (food, walks, swimming, whatever). Then ask yourself if she is still able to enjoy those things. If not, then her quality of life is diminished. I don't believe that dogs with Cushings are painful, but I think they can become uncomfortable. Cushings makes animals more prone to other conditions which can be painful, such as UTIs, pancreatitis, etc.

I hope this helps a bit. Personally I think if you are questioning her quality of life, then it is probably diminished. But whether or not it has diminished to an unacceptable level is a decision only you and your family can make, since you know your dog better than anyone else.

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

meghane, thanks for all this info; I've been learning about cushings recently.
    I still find it hard to evaluate discomfort in a dog, they are such good troupers.
    Even with her bladder full of stones, my 13 year old dog was really perky.
    2 days after surgery, the vets could not believe how well she was.

Roxie has reacted well to her cushings meds; time will tell what effect it has, since it shuts off an important gland and can bring on other ill effects to her health. so far so good.

• debraf
    16 years ago

We just lost our Bichon last week. She would have been 16 in December. She was diagnosed with Cushings 4 1/1 years ago, and was on Ursodiol, and Lysodren the entire time. She lived a normal happy life until just the last few months when she started going down hill. Our vet did a wonderfully job taking care of her. They did monitor the dosage very carefully in the beginning and would periodically do a blood test to make sure it was still correct.

• trekaren
    16 years ago

We just lost a horse at the stable where my daughter rides.
    He had cushings for nearly 3 years, and was happy as a clam.
    The barn owner medicated him, and carefully fed him a recommended mix of feed.
    She also set him up in a stall that had a water spritzer sprayer, that really helped him with his body temperature issues. Naturally he was happier in the cool months.
    She would have had the vet put him down if he seemed to be suffering as he was in his early days of diagnosis. But he responded well to meds and feed, and once she found a way to regulate his body temp, he lived a very spoiled happy final 3 years.

We will miss you, Warrior!

By all means see if meds will make him feel more comfortable. Set him up a 'bedroom' somewhere with a fan for cool rest time.

Good luck!!!

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

My 13 year old dog has cushings as I posted above; after a month on Lysodren, she is getting more and more incontinent, will pee on the bed twice a night or on someone who is holding her. We consulted another vet to get a 2nd opinion this week, he upped the dosage of Lysodren so we'll give it another month to see if the higher dosage works.

My daughter is taking care of the dog and she is at her wit's end now.

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

After 5 days of the increased dosage of Lysodren, the dog is sleeping through the night for the last 2 days so there is hope.................

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

update on lysodren medicated cushings dog; my daughter has the dog now and we changed vets and he adjusted the lysodren to a daily dose; the original vet went from a daily dose to a twice a week dose, and that was not working.

The dog is doing much better and has no accidents now; I guess patience is key. Hopefully the lysodren will keep working. She is also getting prednisone every day.