SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

New Gallery Wall (pics)

ttodd
14 years ago

A little while ago I moved and updated one of my gallery walls. Many of you know that I'm a huge fan and collector of black and white photography both old and new for over 20yrs (am I showing my age? I started collecting in high school) and I love being surrounded floor to ceiling in what I've always called my living libraries. Plus my dad just sent me a new and most fantastic DSLR camera that I am learning to use!

The top frame that holds 3 photos needs to have the photos rotated. Poor kids and dog must be getting sick hanging sideways!

This arrangement was hanging over DH's desk but I wanted to hang a large wall clock that has been looking for a home for 2+ yrs over his desk instead so a I reformatted as many of the photos as I could to fit this smaller space.

Before this side wall was bare. No shelving or anything but I waited for almost a year to see what it would dictate and this is what I ended up w/ one day.

Before:

After (it feels so much cozier and I'm sure some will shudder and think that it's cluttered but I promise EVERYTHING serves a functional purpose!):

The faux mercury glass on the top shelf unit holds candles, the silver box holds paper clips, rubber bands and small stuff and the silver bowl holds my larger stuff like tape measures and kids glues & scissors.

Comments (35)

• young-gardener
    14 years ago

I LOVE it!! Where did you find the lovely storage boxes? I'm a huge black and white fan; they seem to have more emotion than colored photos.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Fantastic! Truly wonderful arrangement with great visual interest and balance!

And I LOVE the whole wall of photos! :)

(BTW -- yep -- I DO feel sorry for the horizontal kids and dog .... LOL!)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Great job with the arrangement; it's perfect. That's a lot of work.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    14 years ago

So pretty! What an inspiration! I really, really LOVE it.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Young-gardener! I got the boxes at IKEA last night. There is a magazine storage file for each member of the family, the square ones hold CD's, Computer Game Discs and Discs of pictures. One of the flat ones hold pictures and 1 holds parenting info for quick reference when we need to re-group.

I spent a total of $20 last night + change for all of the boxes except 2 that I already had and 2 magazine files that I already had.

• declansmom
    14 years ago

AMAZING. You did a fantastic job.
    I am a sucker for walls of photos.
    Beautiful paint color on the walls, too!

• ttodd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Must've been cross-posting!

Thanks everyone!

Mustangs - I was surprised at how quickly and easily this one fell together. Could be one of 2 things:

1> Either I've finally gotten the hang of it.

Or

2> I finally used a tape measure and level.

I looked over at the wall above DH's desk where it previously hung and there's a lot of spackle that will be needed from trial and error!

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Looks absolutely fantastic! Now, I need to fix mine.

Red

• Boopadaboo
    14 years ago

Fabulous as always! Love it. :)

• upa_lazy_river
    14 years ago

Your wall looks amazing! I just found 3M Command picture hanging strips...nothing could be easier and no holes in your walls! They come in several sizes.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's what I remember somebody posting about recently!!!!! 3M Command! I want to hang to framed maps in the kids TV/Play Room and I wanted to try the 3M.

Thanks!

After I got all of the pics off the wall above DH's desk it looked like someone had lost control of a machine gun.

DH commented about why I hadn't been using the laser level he'd bought me for Christmas a few yrs. ago (I wanted it sooo bad!) but I'd quickly realized that many hooks aren't placed evenly on the backs of frames.

Oh well!

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Love the sideways one up top! Good for you for thinking outside the box. :-) You are on a roll, aren't you?!

• cliff_and_joann
    14 years ago

That looks wonderful. You should print out the photo you
    posted and frame it as well. :)

Joann

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Absolutely lovely! Black and white photos are so classy and your arrangement looks stunning. It makes me mourn for not having more wall space......

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

Stunning, fabulous! Someone (Pottery Barn?) should hire you to be their stylist for catalog photos! You have a great eye & really have mastered the art of arranging art & objects (& objects d'art!)

• User
    14 years ago

Looks wonderful "T". I have mine arranged on graph paper. I just have to fill them with photos and hang them. You are definitely an inspiration to get me moving on that.
    Oh and I want an IKEA close to me. Guess I'll have to visit our daughter in Cali, if I want to shop at one.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

I love it! Yay for you! TT, the stars must be aligned perfectly for you! You go girl!

• prill
    14 years ago

That looks wonderful. Someone is a great photographer! I love all the storage on the shelves. I need something like that!

• postum
    14 years ago

Those look great! Not cluttered at all.
    I second the 3M picture hangers - I love them.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Stinky-gardener! Then maybe I could get a PB discount?!

Prill - I love photography. My dad is an avid photographer and the camera that he just bought for me is amazing. I can't wait until he flies in from CA to show me how to use the billion different options on it.

I would have liked basket storage for the added texture but I've found that DD can't keep her hands out of anything if she can see inside of it. So far the lids are keeping her out. For now.

• crescent50
    14 years ago

beautiful black and white pictures and i love how cozy the gallery looks.... hope you don't mind if I save this as an inspiration :)

• cattknap
    14 years ago

I love what you have done - I really like the busyness of the walls - because colors are neutral and objects are interesting and well chosen, it works - great job!

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

Fantastic! I love the B&W photos and the arrangement is just perfect. Not cluttered at all!

• jlsch
    14 years ago

It looks wonderful. I want to do this on a fr wall but keep procrastinating because I'm not sure how to go about it. How did you decide on the sizes/shapes? Did you go to the store knowing what sizes you wanted? I would be interested in the process of how you went about this if you would be so kind to share. wig

• User
    14 years ago

"After I got all of the pics off the wall above DH's desk it looked like someone had lost control of a machine gun."
    LOL! I can relate. :)

It looks really, really great! Not cluttered.

• pps7
    14 years ago

Wonderful!!! I love my DSLR. I love black and whites too. I've started scanning a few old family pics. I will have to remember the 3M tape when I do mine.

What is the wall paint color?

• ttodd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wigardenerwannabe,

For years I have picked up frames whenever I would see them cheaply. I have a stash of empty picture frames and when I have enough for spot I pull them out.

Sometimes I rummage around and look for ones w/ dings and scratches and ask for a discounted price since the piece is damaged. Then I just take a black sharpie and hide the knick.

My frames usually come from TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, Wal-Mart and IKEA.

I always like things to fit into a perfect little box so all of my arrangements are even w/ nothing hanging out on the ends. That's just my personal preference for me. I often admire those gallery walls that I see that are uneven but I like symmetry 95% of the time.

Often I will use my DR table as it is a long rectangle and just start laying out frames until I get a look that I like. If the arrangement will be larger I use the floor.

I stopped using a tape measure and level a long time ago because when you buy cheaper frames the hooks on the back are rarely in line.

I'm pretty good at eyeballing things and have usually been able to just start hanging them one by one w/ minor adjustments on eveness as I go. We'll see how badly that goes when I attempt a grid above my fireplace.

And now thanks to my friends at GW who told me about 3M it will go much faster from here on out!

pps7 -
    the wall color is BM Jonesboro Cream.

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

It looks great! Reminds me that I really need to get some photos developed - they all seem to stay in my computer or camera.

Now where's the photo of the new clock over DH's desk?

• ttodd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aaaahhhh! Hoping to get that up today if I can find the hammer!

• prill
    14 years ago

so you're the photographer! My daughter is a professional photographer and I always envy her great cameras. Have fun learning how to use your new one.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I LOVE it.

Wish I was half as organized. My photos are all in drawers or in the computer and I have boxes of frames I've picked up on sale but never find the time to put them all together.

• jlsch
    14 years ago

Thanks for your explanation of the process, I know it sounds sort of 'duh!'. I actually was in Hobby Lobby or Michaels not too long ago and they had all their black frames 50% off. But I stood there, wondering how do you figure out how many of what sizes. I knew I should go home and make mock-ups of the various standard sizes...but either 'this photo wall block' or laziness got in the way and the sale was over. Anyways, thanks for sharing your approach, it looks lovely. I always enjoys your picture postings. wig

• flowerpwr45
    14 years ago

This is absolutely inspirational! Congratulations on a fantastic job.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Prill - some of the photos are mine, some are cards that were given to me or postcards that I thought were neat. My dad, uncle and 1 cousin are never w/o camera in hand.

buyorsell888 - I also have so many photos in drawers, boxes and on the computer! There are 100's and 100's at least still on the computer.

Wig - don't think about it - just do it. I never buy frames w/ a planned arrangement in mind. I pick up and buy whatever is cheap and stash them away until it's time. Remember you can always buy a new mat to adjust a picture size to fit into a different frame. Don't be pinned down to thinking you can only use the size cut out in a mat that came w/ the frame.

Michaels has that 50% off sale pretty regularly and they usually have a 50% off 1 item in the Sunday paper fliers. A great way to pick a few frames over the course of a few weeks.

Michaels also runs great framing specials.

Also at Michaels they will frame something for you even if you bring in your own frame. I had an IKEA poster sized frame for our big wedding photo. All I needed was a mat specially cut. The finished product was $35 (not including the frame I took to them) and they finished the whole project off:

{{!gwi}}

• loribee
    14 years ago

How pretty!!!